Flywheel/Magneto Rotor

What's this wire for? Electrical mods, Lights, Stator, Rectifier, Diagrams & more.
Stubbie45
I ride: Red Vulcan 500

Flywheel/Magneto Rotor

Postby Stubbie45 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:23 am

Wonder how many other EN-500 Riders have had the magnet segments on the Flywheel/Magneto Rotor Assembly separate and damage the Stator Cover? :(
My 94 EN-500 had one of the magnets come loose and self destruct leaving all kinds of debris within that area and actually puncturing the Stator cover. From my online search this seems to be a rather common problem. I have found a replacement Flywheel/Magneto Rotor assembly from a company in Belgium. From the specs it uses a full ring magnet rather than the segmented. Frustration is my ride has less that 15000 actual miles on it. Generally it is in excellent shape excepting this specific failure.
Next is to physically remove the stator cover and have it repaired, clean the magnetic particles our of the housings, completely flush the lubrication system, and reassemble after receiving the item from Belgium.
Just interested in how many others on this forum have experienced this with their EN-500 or similar Kawasaki cycles??
Arthur Jernberg

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Flywheel/Magneto Rotor

Postby Triangles » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:10 pm

This is a known issue that Kawasaki corrected by updating the flywheel (rotor). Apparently they felt no obligation for a recall. You're probably better off getting a used stator cover off fleabay than fixing yours. Be sure to get one pre-'95 The second generation cover while nearly identical is missing the mounting point for one of the flywheel pickups. As for the flywheel (rotor), you can shell out about $400 to Kawasaki for a new one or buy one from europe. I found an english company called Electrex World that sells them for about $150-200. I have seen them listed on fleabay. Please post where you found yours and at what cost.

My '94 is starting to come apart too (I am also at about 15,000mi). Apparently the epoxy they used to glue the magnets in fails over time. I never thought of it damaging the stator cover... I may expedite it's replacement.
ImageImage

Stubbie45

Postby Stubbie45 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:25 am

Just received mine from a company in Brussels, Belgium viz E-bay. It is the updated flywheel/magneto rotor with the ring magnet rather than the separate segments.
This morning it is ~~ 13 Deg F here so the rest of the repair will wait for a little warmer weather.

Must remove the stator cover completely and have the penetration addressed, have a son in the fabrication business that will heli-arc and re-polish the cover for me.
Initially I thought the penetration was from a stone off the front tyre but inspecting it from the inside of the cover I see it was from debris inside that area.

Source for the Flywheel Assembly is Horse Power Ignition BVBA in Brussels. E-mail: hpi@hpi.be Web: http://www.hpi.be Was a reasonable priced, when compared with domestic sources, and expedited shipping. Part # I used to order item is 21007-1127 and was priced at $150 US with $32 Shipping viz UPS. Prices State side ran from $220 - $300 including shipping.

Now to flush the lubricating system in the engine, have access to drain oil that has been screened and filtered, that I will use for a run-up for the first ten or fifteen min, then replace the filter and fresh synthetic oil. But again at a mean temp if over 40 Deg F!!
This Kawasaki has been an excellent ride, has about 15K actual on the clock, and has never been laid down or damaged.
Arthur Jernberg

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:56 pm

The orange epoxy on the side of the magnet is what is starting to come apart on mine. I only knew it because I had the cover off trying to figure out how to put a crank position sensor on there for my fuel injection project. I inspected it and it didn't seem to be coming apart anywhere else so I buttoned it back up.
ImageImage

Stubbie45

Postby Stubbie45 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:28 pm

I had what looked like a stone puncture located low centre on the cover.
That puncture resulted in a oil leak running down the cover and near the foot rest area.
I presumed that would be a cut and dry repair, just remove the cover and have that puncture repaired.
Upon removal of the cover I found the debris from destroyed magnets and failed orange coloured epoxy.
During operations I never noticed unusual noises or run-ability problems inclusive of charging or electrical issues.
However on occasion the starter would "Free Spin" and not crank the engine.
I presume some of the debris may have entered the start-clutch assembly mounted on the rear of the Flywheel.
Also after inspection I noticed the puncture in the cover is from the inside out.
I presume that many of the Japanese bikes may have used the same epoxy cement with similar failures.
Arthur Jernberg

Stubbie45

Postby Stubbie45 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:53 am

Additional Question: Removal of the Stator Cover required removal of the Stator, Cable clamp, and both Crankshaft Position Sensors.
Since the original screws were soft steel and Philips Head it is now necessary for me to replace all six of them that held the sensors and clamp.
I prefer using Hex or Allen Key screws rather than Philips head mounting hardware.
I need to know what size the original screws. I.E. metric size, length, thread pitch, etc.
Seems that the Kawasaki and Hanes manuals I currently have access to do not supply that specific information.
It appears that all six screws are identical in length and thread.
Any relevant information will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Arthur Jernberg

Stubbie45

Postby Stubbie45 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:55 am

Additional Question: Removal of the Stator Cover required removal of the Stator, Cable clamp, and both Crankshaft Position Sensors.
Since the original screws were soft steel and Philips Head it is now necessary for me to replace all six of them.
I prefer using Hex or Allen Key screws rather than Philips head mounting hardware.
I need to know what size the original screws. I.E. metric size, length, thread pitch, etc.
Seems the Kawasaki and Hanes manuals I currently have access to do not supply that specific information.
It appears that all six screws are identical in length and thread.
Any relevant information will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Arthur Jernberg

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:58 pm

If you have the screws out, why can't you just measure and take them to the hardware store and match them up?
ImageImage

Stubbie45

Postby Stubbie45 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:40 am

Had cover assembly welded to repair puncture, completely polished, and all six mounting boss drilled and re-tapped. Had to replace the ignition pickups and cable assembly because of damaged wiring harness.

Source for Flywheel/Magneto Rotor: Horse Power Ignition BVBA, Kuilenstrrat 97, 3960 Bree, Belgium +32 89 467 439 Contact Willy Hertogs (Viz E-Bay)

Need to remove starting clutch assembly from back of flywheel. Specific care must be used to assure no rollers or springs are lost during this procedure. Complete cleaning of the rollers, springs, and housing must be cleaned thoroughly. Flywheel torque is 56 Foot Pounds Wet (motor oil on threads).

Reassembly of cover and a injection of starting fluid allowed a nice immediate start and run of the engine. Followed by a wipe down and 60+ mile ride to check the cycle out.

Now to wait for this fickle Michigan Weather to clear up again to do more riding!!
Arthur Jernberg

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:11 pm

I sold my '94 EN500A to my brother in law and I had warned him about replacing the flywheel years ago. Of course now many years later it would be while I was riding it that the magnet would let go. We got lucky and nothing poked out the cover. however the stator was beat up and while it still technically could function we replaced it with a used one that wasn't mangled out of an abundance of caution. While there was a bit lost in translation with communication making payment less than clear, Horse Power Ignition is a good company and I would recommend them. I just wish they took a payment other than paypal since paypal charges such high fees for a payment in Euros.
ImageImage

Return to “Electrical”