Who has replaced stock headlight with brighter one?

What's this wire for? Electrical mods, Lights, Stator, Rectifier, Diagrams & more.
GeorgiaRider

Who has replaced stock headlight with brighter one?

Postby GeorgiaRider » Sat May 01, 2010 8:46 pm

I read on another forum where some have replaced the stock (55/60W bulb) with a 90/140W bulb. Has anyone switched to a brighter bulb? Any issues? I don't like to ride mine at night since the lighting is so poor. The person on the other forum bought the headlight at Autozone and it is a Silvania Silverstar. They run about $15. Guess we have enough extra electrical supply to handle it.
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Saddlemen Large Slant Saddlebags
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Who has replaced stock headlight with brighter one?

Postby Triangles » Sat May 01, 2010 9:11 pm

The silver star is a good light bulb. Are you sure you just don't need to aim your light properly? Mine is stock or at least I think it is and it's plenty bright. I have a friend with a 94 Vulcan 750 The previous owner had put a brighter light in his. I'll see if he knows what it is. I had pondered going with one of those HID replacement bulbs, but then I decided not to since you would lose your brights.
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am

I couldn't see well at night with my original bulb, probably just my loss of night vision as I am getting older, but for whatever reason, I couldn't see well at night. I ordered a bulb off the internet. It's a "blue" light and I can see much better than before. It is sold as a 900 xenon super blue headlight bulb and I bought it for $9.95 delivered from an internet company called SPORTBIKELITES LLC I found them on e-bay by searching for Kawasaki Vulcan Blue Headlight bulbs.

Here's a link for a pair of "white" xenon bulbs that fit the Vulcan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENON-WH ... ccessories

GeorgiaRider

Postby GeorgiaRider » Mon May 03, 2010 5:04 pm

burkbuilds wrote:I couldn't see well at night with my original bulb, probably just my loss of night vision as I am getting older, but for whatever reason, I couldn't see well at night. I ordered a bulb off the internet. It's a "blue" light and I can see much better than before. It is sold as a 900 xenon super blue headlight bulb and I bought it for $9.95 delivered from an internet company called SPORTBIKELITES LLC I found them on e-bay by searching for Kawasaki Vulcan Blue Headlight bulbs.

Here's a link for a pair of "white" xenon bulbs that fit the Vulcan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENON-WH ... ccessories

Thanks for the info. Does it look too bright during the day?
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Mon May 03, 2010 6:48 pm

Well, gee, I don't know, I'm always on the bike not seeing it heading towards me. I've never had anyone say anything about it. All I can say is that it gives me about the same visibility at night on high that I get from my truck headlights on low beams.

GeorgiaRider

Postby GeorgiaRider » Mon May 03, 2010 8:48 pm

Sounds good. I may have to give them a try. I rarely ride at night, but would like more light.
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

fastpakr

Postby fastpakr » Tue May 11, 2010 1:47 pm

For what it's worth, I'm running a 35w 6000k HID from DDM Tuning on mine. For about $50 shipped, it's quite a bit brighter than any H4 bulb and will last longer while putting less electrical load on the system. No complaints so far (from me, or from other drivers coming at me).
1999 Vulcan 500, 23k miles

kawboyCAFE

Postby kawboyCAFE » Sat May 29, 2010 4:25 am

on the vstar i use to have, i put a 55/100 watt bulb in it, it was pretty good. not as good as you would think though. i mean, it was a little brighter on high beam, but it still could have been better. next time i think i will try one of those HID bulbs.

shayden
I ride: 2006 Vulcan LTD

Postby shayden » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:13 pm

I recently had a HID light put in by the dealer I bought in 2008. The dealer said the housing would melt but it didn't. The low beam is very white and bright now. I'm not sure the high beams give any more illumination at all. I wonder ifI could upgrade the high beam. I like the HID but I drive at night a lot on the highway. Very worth it.

fastpakr

Postby fastpakr » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:20 am

Triangles wrote:The silver star is a good light bulb. Are you sure you just don't need to aim your light properly? Mine is stock or at least I think it is and it's plenty bright. I have a friend with a 94 Vulcan 750 The previous owner had put a brighter light in his. I'll see if he knows what it is. I had pondered going with one of those HID replacement bulbs, but then I decided not to since you would lose your brights.

I just noticed this post. You won't lose your brights with a decent HID kit. They use the high beam switch to move a reflector, adjusting the beam distribution. Works perfectly.
1999 Vulcan 500, 23k miles

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:15 pm

yep I've seen those. I plan to try one some day if I ever get around to it.
ImageImage

Return to “Electrical”