Why does trailering kill my battery

What's this wire for? Electrical mods, Lights, Stator, Rectifier, Diagrams & more.
SE Road King
I ride: '07 Black EN500c Ltd

Why does trailering kill my battery

Postby SE Road King » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:52 am

We own an '07EN500C. I gives us very good service except the couple times that I have transported the bike behind the M/H, it acts as though the battery has been discharged when we attempt to start. With only the chatter of the solenoid for a result when starting is attempted we are left confounded. I installed a good quality AGM sealed battery in July of 2012. It is wired for the easy installation of a .9 amp maintenance charger for when the bike is to sit idle and unused. After trailering we plug in the charger for 10-20 minutes, the indicators switch to show that we have reached the charged condition, and starts right up.
Is anyone aware of what is discharging the battery, possibly vibration on fan motor switch?
SE Road King
Cedar Creek Lake, Tx.
'80 XS650G, '02 FLHRSEI, '07 EN500C LTD
Standing Silent and Proud for East Texas PGR and North Texas PGR
The worst day riding beats the best day working.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Why does trailering kill my battery

Postby Triangles » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:33 pm

This only happens when you trailer it? :? That's a good one. I can't imagine what could even possibly cause that. Maybe you could wire in a battery disconnect. The fan is easy enough to unplug. You could try that and see if it is indeed the culprit. This really has me curious. Let us know if you ever figure it out.
ImageImage

SE Road King
I ride: '07 Black EN500c Ltd

Re: Why does trailering kill my battery

Postby SE Road King » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Afirmitive, only after it has ben trailered. 3 times in a row now, several months apart. If it were a more common wet plate style battery I could imagine a vibration problem where the plates were heavily sulfated. As I understand it, the AGM type are not nearly as suseptable to vibration related failures.
SE Road King
Cedar Creek Lake, Tx.
'80 XS650G, '02 FLHRSEI, '07 EN500C LTD
Standing Silent and Proud for East Texas PGR and North Texas PGR
The worst day riding beats the best day working.

Return to “Electrical”