Hooked battery up backwards

What's this wire for? Electrical mods, Lights, Stator, Rectifier, Diagrams & more.
mac
I ride: 2006 Vulcan 500

Hooked battery up backwards

Postby mac » Mon May 14, 2012 11:02 pm

Got a new battery and did not notice poles were reversed and hooked up. Popped new main fuse. Went got new battery and replaced main 30 amp fuse and have no power. A little red light by the main fuse comes on when key is turn, but that is all. Any suggestions on what to check next. I've checked all the 10 amp fuses under the seat and they are all okay.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Hooked battery up backwards

Postby Triangles » Tue May 15, 2012 1:18 pm

I can't seem to find my service manual with the wiring diagram so I don't know how much if any help i can be. I'd recommend getting a service manual with a wiring diagram and start looking for things that you may have fried. What do you mean when you say you have no power? Do any of the head/turn/indicator lights do anything? There's a red light by the main fuse? that's news to me. Does this light only come on with the key? Sounds like maybe you toasted the "relay module" (I can't think of it's technical name right now, the little box with all the relays in it). Sounds like it's time get out the multimeter and start checking stuff or spend lots of $$$ and take it to the shop. Unless someone that has a wiring diagram chimes in if something looks obvious to check. Let us know if you figure anything out.
ImageImage

mac
I ride: 2006 Vulcan 500

Postby mac » Tue May 15, 2012 1:24 pm

No indicator lights, nothing. Not sure what the red light is by 30 amp fuse either, but only comes on when key turned. Going to start testing everything I guess. Thanks

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Thu May 17, 2012 9:17 am

Taking a shot in the dark I'd guess your problem is with the Fuse/Junction box. Since you're not getting any indicator lights at all then I'm pretty sure your problem lies between this junction box and the battery. There is a circuit board with relays and such inside the box.
Junction box.JPG
Junction box.JPG (50.92 KiB) Viewed 11128 times

Thankfully these are relatively cheap on fleabay. If it turns out that this is the culprit, you can use Kawasaki's parts cross (see how to section) reference to find out what other models/years use the same part and then search online for a cheap used one. If my manual is where I think it is It will be at least a week an a half before I can get my hands on it.
ImageImage

Turbojoe
I ride: 2004 Vulcan 500

Postby Turbojoe » Fri May 18, 2012 7:15 am

You can get a digital copy of the Kawasaki manual here: http://www.green-manuals.com/motorcycles/kawasaki-street.htm. They are usually very quick to e-mail a download link to you so you can get to work right away. It's only $9.50. It's another $3.00 only if you want a CD shipped to you. It's an easily searchable PDF file. Can't beat the price compared to $70.00+ from the dealer IF they have one in stock.

Triangles is probably right. I'd be looking closely at the junction box. I'll bet it fried a trace on the circuit board.....

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

2004 Vulcan 500

Turbojoe

Postby Turbojoe » Sat May 19, 2012 2:54 pm

I've been trying to copy and upload some helpful pages from the manual but it looks like this digital version is pretty well copy protected.

The first sentence in the electrical system precaution section says " Do not reverse the battery connections. This will burn out the diodes in the electrical parts." Pretty ominous unfortunately. The junction box contains most of the diodes but the diagnostic section looks well done and should help you confirm or eliminate it as the culprit.

Joe

2004 Vulcan 500

Turbojoe

Postby Turbojoe » Sat May 19, 2012 3:00 pm

I was just looking at the manual again and noticed there is a 30 amp fuse on the starter relay behind the left side cover. A fuse shouldn't blow from reverse voltage but what the heck, it's worth a look see......

Joe

2004 Vulcan 500

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Mon May 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Mac,
You never did mention whether you had an EN500A or EN500C. Which bike do you have?
ImageImage

Return to “Electrical”