windshield and buffeting

Accessories and other various gadgets that can be mounted on or otherwise used with the Vulcan 500. Links and pictures are welcome. Performance mods go in the appropriate forum below.
hypnohio
I ride: ,03 Vulcan 500, '82 KZ440, '06 Virago 250

windshield and buffeting

Postby hypnohio » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:24 pm

Just recently acquired an '03 vulcan 500. Love the bike, but the buffeting is really intense. It came with a windshield, I believe a Fire and Steel large, the one with the flying V decal and attaches to the forks. Anything over 55mph and my head is being banged around to the point that it's not much fun to ride. The wind seems to be coming from below and the sides, rather than over the top. Anybody else experience this? anybody have a windshield or fairing that really works? I'm used to a little wind, but this just about shakes my head off. thanks.

GeorgiaRider

Re: windshield and buffeting

Postby GeorgiaRider » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:11 am

I had the same problem with my original Kawi shield (smaller version). I now have a Memphis Shades Alley Cat and it is much better. Plus, I think the shield looks better. I have it set now where the cut-out is just over the headlight instead of a few inches above it. It is 18 inches high and 20 inches wide. The one with the seven-inch cut out fits our bike. Let me know if you need part number info.

Here are a few pics:

GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Saddlemen Large Slant Saddlebags
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

hypnohio

Postby hypnohio » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks a bunch, Georgia. I'll check it out.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:06 pm

I had the large v-force window on mine too. Depending on seating position I would get some pretty rough buffeting too. Mine was from the wind coming off the top of the windshield and and hitting at about the bottom of my helmet visor and up. I also have bought the Alley Cat wind shield but due to life's demands have not had a chance to install it yet. If you're interested, reply here and I'll dig up where I got it from as I recall it was significantly cheaper than everywhere else I could find it for sale.
ImageImage

hypnohio

Postby hypnohio » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:03 pm

Definitely interested in where you got the shield, and even more interested in how it works when you get it installed. Thanks.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:50 am

The windshield is part# MEP5619 The mounting hardware is part# MEP9940 The two cost me a little over $160. Not a bad price. My first impression of the hardware is that it is well made and the windshield is thick and sturdy looking. I'll update after I install it.
ImageImage

Return to “Gadgets & Accessories”