Highway Bars for Vulcan 500

Accessories and other various gadgets that can be mounted on or otherwise used with the Vulcan 500. Links and pictures are welcome. Performance mods go in the appropriate forum below.
Jablonsky

Re: Highway Bars for Vulcan 500

Postby Jablonsky » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:14 am

Lovely looking highway bars! I am afraid I can't use these on Magnus bcs of the forward controls, otherwise I would click them too.
(Now try to guess what will most probably my next winter project be :mrgreen: )

Good luck with that postage issue.
No hay banda. No hay Jablonsky. Todo está grabado. Nada es lo que parece, todo es una ilusión.

BillInGA

Postby BillInGA » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:41 am

Your new bars look good! Mine had "highway bars" when I bought it but, as you can see, they are practically worthless and ugly to boot.

I have a feeling new bars will be in my future.
ATGATT - All The Gear, All The Time

2000 Vulcan 500 LTD
2004 Suzuki GZ250
1998 Toyota Camry

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Bill, those are the Kawasaki bars and although they are well made, as you point out, they are just to small to actually provide any protection to either you or the engine and they don't look like much. The ones you have and the ones Red Rider gets from Mexico seem to be about the same thickness of steel, good stuff, the ones I've purchased are thinner walled tubing than either of those, so if you like the look of the ones from Mexico, I'd probably go with those.

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:25 am

Update on my shipping charges. I just got a refund of the $52 it cost me to send the first set back. They refunded the money to my PayPal account. I'd say this company seems fairly reputable, they didn't gripe at all when I requested a refund for having to send the first set of bars back due to their shipping the wrong ones. They had the refund in my account within 24 hours. If anyone is interested I just checked the e-bay site and they still have two left for sale. You can use the link I posted earlier and then search for "relisted item" and it should take you to the current add.

barfubare

Postby barfubare » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:58 pm

I finally got an email from Tony at tucmoto a few weeks ago saying he had a few of the bars in for the A models. I ordered one and finally got it installed this past week. It came without any instructions but wasn't too hard to figure out where it needed to bolt on to. I had to flip the long motor mount bolt as it actually screws into the mount point for the bars on the clutch side, replacing the nut. I also had to pick up a longer (m8-1.25 70mm) bolt for the throttle side connection as well as add 4 washers between the frame and the the mount point on the bars there as there was too big of a gap to risk trying to bend the bracket to make it fit. Note that it only attaches at the bottom, there is no place at the top to attach the bars on the A models. They are attached at two points on each side at the bottom (one engine mount bolt & one U bolt on each side). Not sure how much protections that would give you if the bike actually went down.

I still have to get some pegs to put on them. I tried to put my feet on top of them once just to see what that felt like and managed to bump my key, turning off the bike as I was going 50mph down a dark back road. :o I think I'll wait till I get some pegs to try that again .

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:37 pm

Nice pics, the bars look good on your bike. It does seem like they would be better if there was an upper attachment point doesn't it. Sure beats the look and "protection" of the OEM bars though.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:38 am

I see I'm not the only one missing the left muffler heat shield. how did you mount your horn? I've been trying to figure out where to mount one on mine. I was going to give up and mount it next to the battery. My air box was removed by a previous owner. I looked at mounting min sort of where you have yours but I feared it was too close to the muffler.
ImageImage

barfubare

Postby barfubare » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:42 pm

Triangles wrote:I see I'm not the only one missing the left muffler heat shield. how did you mount your horn? I've been trying to figure out where to mount one on mine. I was going to give up and mount it next to the battery. My air box was removed by a previous owner. I looked at mounting min sort of where you have yours but I feared it was too close to the muffler.

I actually had my pipe crack, then eventually break in two at the weld behind where the heat shield is supposed to be. When I took the heat shield off to get the pipe off, I discovered one of the clamps was broken. Since it takes me forever to actually fix things (and my wife would back me up on that :D ), it's still sitting on the bench.

The horn is a very low tech mount. I have a T bracket from the hardware store held on to the frame behind the radiator by two hose clamps. That's all hidden behind the horn, so it works out. Like many of my "fixes", that was meant to be temporary till I figured out a cleaner way to mount it (same with the tach & driving lights). It doesn't look like it's going to fall off any time soon, so I'm probably going to leave well enough alone till I have a good reason to revisit it.

And you can't see it from that angle, but if I remember correctly, the relay for the horn is mounted on the back of the bracket. There's more than enough distance to the pipe as well.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:22 pm

barfubare wrote:
The horn is a very low tech mount. I have a T bracket from the hardware store held on to the frame behind the radiator by two hose clamps. That's all hidden behind the horn, so it works out. Like many of my "fixes", that was meant to be temporary till I figured out a cleaner way to mount it (same with the tach & driving lights). It doesn't look like it's going to fall off any time soon, so I'm probably going to leave well enough alone till I have a good reason to revisit it.

Ah from the picture angle it looks closer to the exhaust pipe than it really is. That gives me a few ideas. I did some creative relocation of the idiot lights to put my tach where the idiot lights used to be. I'll have to see if I can dig up some picts.
ImageImage

barfubare

Postby barfubare » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:17 pm

Triangles wrote:Ah from the picture angle it looks closer to the exhaust pipe than it really is. That gives me a few ideas. I did some creative relocation of the idiot lights to put my tach where the idiot lights used to be. I'll have to see if I can dig up some picts.

I'd like to see what you did with the idiot lights. I'm still bouncing around ideas on that front. Maybe we should move that to a thread of it's own so I can find it down the road when I actually try something. I'll try to get a better picture of the horn so you can see how it's wedged in there.

Scorpio500

Postby Scorpio500 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:30 pm

Who do I contact to order the crash bars being made in Mexico?

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:13 am

Send a PM to 500rider. He knows the guy in Mexico that makes them. As a new member you may not be able to send a PM. If this is the case let me know and I'll fix it so that you can.
ImageImage

Scorpio500

Postby Scorpio500 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:12 am

Triangles wrote:Send a PM to 500rider. He knows the guy in Mexico that makes them. As a new member you may not be able to send a PM. If this is the case let me know and I'll fix it so that you can.

I sent him a PM, but not sure if he got it, Triangles! I shall see if I get a reply over this week. If not, I will let you know, thank you so much!

500 rider

Postby 500 rider » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Scorpio 500 : I got the message until today ,Triangles make me the favor to send it to me ,,I will respond you today..

Thanks Triangle

Vicente

Scorpio500

Postby Scorpio500 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:27 pm

Thank you Vicente!

Return to “Gadgets & Accessories”