Highway Bars for Vulcan 500

Accessories and other various gadgets that can be mounted on or otherwise used with the Vulcan 500. Links and pictures are welcome. Performance mods go in the appropriate forum below.
kawboyCAFE

Re: Highway Bars for Vulcan 500

Postby kawboyCAFE » Sat May 29, 2010 4:16 am

i was thinking about building my own highway bars. wouldnt be too hard, although it would probably be expensive to get them chromed.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Sat May 29, 2010 2:01 pm

Some of my friends have had things chromed and they told me it's not as expensive as you would think. It's just a challenge of finding someplace close that does it.
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:18 am

Well, the bars arrived this week and when I unpacked them, I found that they shipped the wrong bars :( I just sent them an e-mail asking how they'd like to resolve this. They sent me the bars for the older model Vulcan 500 which is Reference 0255 in the catalog, but the ones they showed in their e-bay add were the reference 0305 for the 96 and later model 500's. Not sure how they got this confused, since it was their add and pictures and all, but they did, so now I'm wondering how long it will take to clear this all up. There's no way these will fit the 2009 Vulcan 500, I took them out and tried to see if they would but the mounting positions are completely different than the older bikes. Pretty ingenious how they shipped them though, they just bubble wrapped them up really tight all around the tubes and mailed it. It got here, unscathed, just the wrong model.

Jablonsky

Postby Jablonsky » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:38 am

burkbuilds wrote:...Not sure how they got this confused, since it was their add and pictures and all...

It takes an effort to make shit happen. Obviously, they put a lot of effort into it.

Which reminds me, I ordered recently from the Netherlands a small spare part for ZVIZ. A clutch release cover. I wanted it original. As I was already ordering, I decided to order also the 2 bolts that hold the cover in place. Why not? They were cheap and the old ones were worn out. After a day or two I was checking the status of my order and found out that the Dutch guys did not have the cover on stock and just put it on my wish list, and they already shipped the 2 bolts. I mean, how much brain does it take to figure out that I do not need those bolts without the part they were supposed to hold in place? Is it so difficult to send me a bloody mail before shipping 2 bloody bolts I can find in any godforsaken hardware store? :|
No hay banda. No hay Jablonsky. Todo está grabado. Nada es lo que parece, todo es una ilusión.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:12 am

burkbuilds wrote:Well, the bars arrived this week and when I unpacked them, I found that they shipped the wrong bars :( I just sent them an e-mail asking how they'd like to resolve this. They sent me the bars for the older model Vulcan 500 which is Reference 0255 in the catalog, but the ones they showed in their e-bay add were the reference 0305 for the 96 and later model 500's. Not sure how they got this confused, since it was their add and pictures and all, but they did, so now I'm wondering how long it will take to clear this all up. There's no way these will fit the 2009 Vulcan 500, I took them out and tried to see if they would but the mounting positions are completely different than the older bikes. Pretty ingenious how they shipped them though, they just bubble wrapped them up really tight all around the tubes and mailed it. It got here, unscathed, just the wrong model.

If they let you keep the 0255 bars I might be interested in them.
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:25 am

I got an e-mail this morning that they would exchange them, and they wanted me to return these. I had to pay $53.00 to have them shipped back (about 43 Euros) USPS Priority Mail, which was the cheapest rate I could find. UPS wanted $146 to ship them. I am hoping they are going to credit me the cost of shipping these back, they should it was their mistake not mine, but I don't have a lot of recourse if they don't, since they are to far away to ride my bike over and complain, not to mention that my bike doesn't ride well underwater in the Atlantic Ocean. I'm guessing 3-4 weeks turn around before I get the shipment back from them. I'll let you know how it works out.

Here's a picture of the bars they sent, they look like they would fit the older model 500 really well, and the chrome seems to be pretty good. I would have prefered a slightly thicker walled tubing, but they were okay.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:31 am

I hope you paid with a ccard or see what fleabay's dispute resolution process is, otherwise you may be SOL. I bought some Highway Hawk saddle bag supports from http://www.customparts.nl and they sent me a handle bar instead. They didn't want to pay for shipping of the handle bar back (was probably more than the cost of the bar) so they told me to keep it and sent out the saddlebag supports I had ordered. So anyone want some 7/8" handlebars?
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:54 am

I used Paypal with a credit card and it was purchased on e-bay, the web might get pretty tangled up about who is supposed to settle this if it becomes a problem, but at this point I'll have to wait and see what happens.

In the mean time, I just got an e-mail from Tony at Tucmoto, see earlier thread, he's the US distributor, and he told me he finally got five (5) of these delivered to him and is ready to sell them now from a US address and supplier, so if you are interested, that might be the best route to go for a set of these bars from SPAAN.

Jablonsky

Postby Jablonsky » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:30 pm

burkbuilds wrote:I got an e-mail this morning that they would exchange them, and they wanted me to return these. I had to pay $53.00 to have them shipped back (about 43 Euros) USPS Priority Mail, which was the cheapest rate I could find. UPS wanted $146 to ship them. I am hoping they are going to credit me the cost of shipping these back, they should it was their mistake not mine, but I don't have a lot of recourse if they don't, since they are to far away to ride my bike over and complain, not to mention that my bike doesn't ride well underwater in the Atlantic Ocean. I'm guessing 3-4 weeks turn around before I get the shipment back from them. I'll let you know how it works out...

Burkbuilds, any news yet?
No hay banda. No hay Jablonsky. Todo está grabado. Nada es lo que parece, todo es una ilusión.

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:52 pm

They sent me an e-mail last week saying they had shipped the correct bars. It took about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks last time. No word yet from them on re-reimbursing me for the shipping costs of sending the 1st ones back, but communication by Google translate can be a little weird. I'll wait and see what information is with the new bars and if the new bars are the correct ones before I push the shipping charges issue.

kawboyCAFE

Postby kawboyCAFE » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:24 pm

if you got them off of ebay, go to their resolution center at the bottom of the page and open a case. they will fix it. they have come in handy for me a couple of times.

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:28 am

thanks for the information. I did buy them on e-bay and I still have all the e-mails that we've sent back and forth.

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:28 pm

The Highway bars arrived Wednesday. I finally got home and put them on this morning (Friday 7/16/10) and I like them. Nice fit, looks good, just what I was looking for. Now to try and resolve the issue about me having to pay the postage to return the first set they sent because they sent the wrong ones. However, I am a little bit busy right now. I've got one more week of Summer classes and then finals, I just started an Internship (paying) with a Division of NAPA Auto Parts Co. called RAYLOC, and a few weeks ago I bought a small house to fix up and rent out to one of my daughters and her husband and I've been a little bit busy refinishing hardwood floors and tiling the laundry floor and re-painting the entire interior and gutting the kitchen, and replacing doors and installing moldings and well, you get the picture. I've spent every night working until midnight when I'm home from school and I'm to dang old to be doing that kind of hours any more. But at least the highway bars are on! I'll try to get some pictures up soon. :D

BillInGA

Postby BillInGA » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:49 pm

Congrats on the new bars - looking forward to pics.

There's a guy on vulcanforums.com that sells highway bars that he has made in Mexico. I think he's in Laredo or Brownsvile. Did you happen to look at those?
ATGATT - All The Gear, All The Time

2000 Vulcan 500 LTD
2004 Suzuki GZ250
1998 Toyota Camry

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:53 pm

Bill, I've seen the ones on Vulcan Forum and they look really well made. There are several people who have bought them and have had accidents and attributed the strength of those bars as the reason they escaped serious leg injury. I just didn't like the aesthetics of them, not sure why, just didn't appeal to me. I really like the way that guy designed his mounting system to, it was well designed.
Here's a few pictures of my bike with the new highway bars I got from SPAAN.

I've really been putting some miles on this bike. Bought it last summer and I'm coming up on 18,000 miles now.

Return to “Gadgets & Accessories”