Converting my 900 to a Trike

Talk about your other motorcycles here.
burkbuilds

Re: Converting my 900 to a Trike

Postby burkbuilds » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:31 pm

I've been riding the Trike for about a month now, pretty much every day to work and a few short rides on the weekends. I got my mom, my youngest daughter and even my wife to ride 2-up with me. There are certain advantages to the Trike. It is amazingly stable, I'm not really concerned with hitting gravel in the road way, or slick things like manhole covers in the rain, and you never need to put your feet down at a traffic light or in stop and go traffic. It actually has a very tight turning radius and I can take turns at relatively high speeds and it sticks to the road like it was on a rail. Having said that, I really miss leaning in the turns and being able to avoid most of the potholes and such that you just can't seem to miss on a Trike. I also don't like "hanging on" in the turns because of the lateral g-forces. If I had a hip replacement or some physical reason I could not hold a bike up at a stop or if I felt like I wouldn't be able to raise it if I dropped it then the Trike would be significantly better than riding in a cage (car). But, I have healed up enough from my accident last April that those things no longer apply to me. So, I think I'm going to convert it back to two wheels and just sell the rear axle kit and the fenders to someone that wants to give it a go converting their 900 to a trike.

Merry Christmas everyone. :D

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:34 am

Glad you're healed up. I'm curious how the fuel economy compares between 2 and 3 wheel configurations.
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:55 pm

All I can really tell you at this point is that the Trike version got 41-42 mpg around town. The bike itself is rated to get 45 mpg, but who knows if that is accurate or not. I will just have to ride for a while and then I can let you know what I'm averaging.

buba

Postby buba » Mon May 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Burkbuilds,
Thank you. This was one of the most informative posts I found on the Internet about trike conversions.
Who did you buy the axle and the swing arm from?
The reason I am asking is that I am in Canada. I am interested to buy just the axle and the swing arm, no body kit, but I cannot screw around with shipping back things if they do not match the Vulcan.
If you do not feel comfortable or is against forum rules to post a name for the kit seller, please PM me
Were the brake lines included in the kit?
Did you have to weld the blocks to the axle, or that was optional/safer ?
Did the 900 Vulcan feel under-powered when triked?
How were potholes, etc?
Thanks so much in advance for the answers.

Return to “Other Motorcycles”