Just bought a Vulcan VN750 on e-bay

Talk about your other motorcycles here.
burkbuilds

Just bought a Vulcan VN750 on e-bay

Postby burkbuilds » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:58 pm

I wasn't actually looking for a bike when I was searching on e-bay, just accessories for the 500 but I hit upon a listing that grabbed my attention. 2005 Vulcan EN750 with 500 miles on it and a buy it now price of $3,000. I don't plan to get rid of my 2009 500. It's doing exactly what I want it to do now and I am happy with it. I've got almost 28,000 miles on it though and by the time I finish school it should have close to 70K or more on it and I figured it will be pretty well worn out by then. I don't really want a bigger bike, but the 750 just weighs 468lbs and I like the old school styling, the handlebar mounted speedo/tachometer/fuel gauge etc. I also like the shaft drive and the self adjusting hydraulic valves. If the 750 has a downside it's the stator which has the reputation of an early death and difficult to access for replacement. Same size tires as our 500 with the aluminum wheels.

Ran a VIN check and it looks legit. Scheduled to pick it up on December 30th. I'll let you know if it all pans out.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Just bought a Vulcan VN750 on e-bay

Postby Triangles » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:30 pm

If the Vulcan 500 just had the hydraulic lifters of the 750 it would be the perfect bike for me. My friend let me ride his '94 VN750. It has a lot of features not found on today's bikes like a center stand and fuel gauge. Being a v-twin you'll find it has a bit more low torque. I suspect you'll be spending some time at http://www.vn750.com/
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:24 pm

I agree with you Triangles. That center stand is something I'd love to have on the 500 and right now I'm having to do the valves about every 4 months or less. I'm actually okay with the chain drive on the 500. Once I installed the "Loobman" chain oiler my time messing with the chain was cut exponentially. I now have just under 28,000 miles on the OE chain. I think I'll probably put on a new chain and sprockets at 30,000 miles, more as a preventative measure than anything, it is still in good shape and no slack around the sprockets and no visible wear on the teeth of the sprockets either.

Thanks for the link to the 750 site, looks interesting.

GeorgiaRider

Postby GeorgiaRider » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:55 pm

Let us see a pic when you get the new ride BurkBuilds. Good luck.
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Saddlemen Large Slant Saddlebags
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

burkbuilds

New Pictures of 2005 VN750

Postby burkbuilds » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:52 pm

My son-in-law and I drove out to Apex NC Thursday and picked up the bike. It was indeed exactly as described. Turns out the original owner purchased this bike after he retired and then died in his sleep a month later. His widow couldn't bear to sell it until this Fall. The guy I bought it from purchased it and then decided he needed the cash to use as a down payment on a new house. He replaced the battery with an AGM battery, installed new spark plugs, changed the oil and filter, flushed the radiator and re-filled but only put about 221 miles on it before I bought it.

Now I need to move the rectifier out to get some airflow over it and replace the six year old tires, not worth the risk to me to run on tires that are around six years old.
Other mods will follow.

Jablonsky

Postby Jablonsky » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:22 pm

Simply beautiful!
No hay banda. No hay Jablonsky. Todo está grabado. Nada es lo que parece, todo es una ilusión.

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:51 pm

I've been working on getting floorboards on the bike. No one makes any to fit, so I adapted the same style I bought for my 500. The left side was simple, I just had to drill out the hole to a larger diameter so the pin would fit. The right side required me to fabricate a longer mounting post to clear the brake pedal. I got to use the machine shop at school Monday night to machine and weld this together. Here are a few shots I took tonight while doing my trial fit up. Now that I'm happy with that I sanded it all down really good and smooth and painted it, but those pictures will come later after the paint dries.

Here is a picture of the way the post looked from the factory.

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Here are a few final shots of the floorboards with the new adapter.

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:53 pm

I really like the look, size and style of the SS-32 Falcon Slipsteamer windshield, unfortunately, it is not on the list to fit the VN750's. I decided to give it a shot though and see if I could make it work. Here is what I did.
First off, you have to move the turn signal lights down onto the fork tubes, which I did with a Memphis shades relocation kit purchased on e-bay.
Second, you will have to loosen the two bolts that hold the gauge package to the triple tree to give a little room to slide the mounting brackets up as high as possible on the fork tubes. Once they are in place you can tighten the gauge bolts. There is no way to get a wrench in between the upper bolt on the bracket and the headlight bracket on the 750, so I tightened that bolt up with the bracket out at a 45 degree angle and then pushed it back up against the headlight bracket and installed the remaining bolts.
Third, you will have to fabricate some type of spacer to put the windshield an additional 2" out to clear the headlight and gauges. I did that with some 2" x 1" rectangular stock aluminum. Two holes will need to be drilled all the way through to allow the mounting bolts to go thru. I also purchased 1/4" x 2 3/4" chrome hex head bolts to replace the 5/8" bolts that come with the windshield, since I've extended it by 2 more inches. I wanted them to be chromed too, so I purchased some chrome tape in a 6" wide roll made for doing the lower rocker panels of cars. I wrapped the aluminum in this tape. Then used a razor blade knife to trim the top and bottom flush and cut out the drilled holes. Next I bolted the windshield onto the mounting brackets using the 2" spacers and I am pretty pleased with the results. Here are a few photos of everything.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:06 am

nice work! By chance does this shield work well with the 500?
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:33 pm

This is the shield I have on my 500 and I've been very pleased with it. I also like the way it mounts to the fork tubes instead of the handlebars. I had one shield that mounted to the handlebars on another bike and I always felt like it made the handlebars "shimmy". This thing is solid on the fork tubes and I don't feel any vibration from it. I highly recommend it for the Vulcan 500.

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:14 pm

I relocated my rear tail lights and installed some saddle bags. I bought tail lights for the 500 and just drilled holes in the brake light housing and mounted them there. They look just like the 750 lights except they mount with a threaded rod instead of the twist lock style on the 750.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:01 pm

what happened with the windshield on the 750?
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Hey Triangles,

Hope the new job is going well for you.

The windshield on the 750 works fine. I took these pics before I had it installed and forgot to post them. Once I re-design the seat I'll probably trim the windshield down a couple of inches because right now I'm looking through the top edge of the thing. I want to be sure of my final riding position with the seat before I go cutting it down though.

Last weekend I replaced the OE grips with some nice ISO Grips by Kuryakn (however it's spelled). They are better than OE, but maybe not as comfy as I was hoping, but pretty good. I also got a drivers backrest from Harold at Protac, that really helped, but the seat wants to slide me forward all the time and makes me sit in a slumped position, so I will definitely have to change it.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:14 pm

the iso grips are nice!!! they were a little akward for me at first but the more I used them the more I liked them.
ImageImage

Return to “Other Motorcycles”