Almost burned my baby to the ground!

Being on the road, we learn something new all the time. Share the knowlege of your experiences.
Turbojoe
I ride: 2004 Vulcan 500

Almost burned my baby to the ground!

Postby Turbojoe » Wed May 23, 2012 9:09 pm

Got quite a scare today. I rode all the way home from work and got a quick drink of cold water before heading out again for a doctor appointment. While taking off from the intersection at the end of my street my left foot slipped around on the peg and shifter. I hadn't hit or seen any water and was a little confused. When I stopped at the next intersection I looked down and saw liquid spraying down on the cylinder head, header and my leg and foot. I pulled to the side and checked closer. It was GAS!!! It seems the rubber factory plug on the tank fitting forward of the petcock had deteriorated and fuel was venting out and on to the engine. How I didn't end up looking like Nicholas Cage in "Ghost Rider" I don't know. Just lucky I guess. I had filled up on the way home but I never fill higher than the bottom of the filler neck so that wasn't an issue. I also recently replaced all the fuel and vacuum hoses. That plug looked fine so I didn't mess with it. Now I wish I had. If your hoses (and fitting plugs) are several years old then think seriously about replacing them all. It's cheap insurance. It almost cost me my bike.......

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

2004 Vulcan 500

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Almost burned my baby to the ground!

Postby Triangles » Sun May 27, 2012 9:39 pm

take pictures. what are you talking about? I'm unaware of any rubber plugs on my tank.
ImageImage

Turbojoe

Postby Turbojoe » Sun May 27, 2012 10:02 pm

It's dark now and the flash on my camera quit. I'll try to get a shot tomorrow.

Joe

2004 Vulcan 500

Turbojoe

Postby Turbojoe » Mon May 28, 2012 12:24 pm

OK. I finally got a decent shot of the area. I never noticed this port either and I take the tank off just about every time I work on the bike because it takes so little time and it makes access to everything so much easier. I never turned to tank over to see this port. When I pulled off the replacement plug I made I got a small shot of gas all over my hand. It's obviously tied into the vent system. Maybe a port that's used only in the Canadian or export market? Your guess is as good as mine. The problem with this port is that if it leaks it runs directly onto the left side header and cylinder head. Not a good combination.........

Joe
Attachments
Plugged off port.jpg
Original rubber plug deteriorated and allowed gas to run onto exhaust.
Plugged off port.jpg (348.42 KiB) Viewed 12673 times

2004 Vulcan 500

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Wed May 30, 2012 12:19 pm

I believe you have a Peoples Republic of Kalifornia bike or at least the gas tank from one. based on the parts diagram below it looks like that's a port for the gas evaporative canister system. I looked at my bike and I do not have that port on the gas tank.
Attachments
K06EN500C6F21.gif
Evap. canister system.
K06EN500C6F21.gif (39.73 KiB) Viewed 12664 times
ImageImage

Turbojoe

Postby Turbojoe » Wed May 30, 2012 7:10 pm

I don't know the state of original sale but it does have the evap system. I assumed all did. The two hoses you see in the illustration are on the right side of the tank. Red and blue. The port that had a plug on mine is on the left side just forward of the petcock. Just one of those mysteries I guess. :D

Joe

2004 Vulcan 500

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Thu May 31, 2012 9:45 am

Yep, only the California spec bikes have the evap. system. I wonder what the intended function of that plugged port was. Hmmm I wonder if they had FI in mind. I supposed if you had an external fuel pump for FI the return line of the pressure regulator could use that port to return gas to the gas tank.......
ImageImage

Turbojoe

Postby Turbojoe » Thu May 31, 2012 6:21 pm

F.I. is an interesting possibility. Maybe they were considering it at one point. Next time I pull the tank I'll try to trace its path through the tank. I should be able to work a small gauge wire through it to see where it comes out. If it isn't part of the evap venting then a return fuel dump is the only likely use for it.

Joe

2004 Vulcan 500

Return to “Lessons Well Learned”