NEVER let anyone ride your bike!

Being on the road, we learn something new all the time. Share the knowlege of your experiences.
Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

NEVER let anyone ride your bike!

Postby Triangles » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:26 am

Unless you don't care about it, are independently wealthy, or are holding a few grand as collateral until she is returned in the condition that she left. I learned this lesson the hard way. My poor bike was laid down and at least she didn't hit the ground until completely off the pavement. To my surprise the only damage were a couple barely noticeable scratches in the front fender, scratched up windshield, minor scratches on the gas tank, and a significant dent in the ammo can. There was some dirt clods here and there but no other damage. So it looks like I will have to have my gas tank painted and a new windshield. I was going to replace the ammo cans so I don't care much about that. I can live with the fender scratches, I will only see them when I'm cleaning her but I will notice them and they will annoy me..... Maybe I'll just Rhino-line the front of the gas tank?
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Re: NEVER let anyone ride your bike!

Postby burkbuilds » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:16 pm

Dang, sorry that happened to your bike.

I was with my cousin back in the late 70's when he let his friend take a ride on his bike, the guy took off around the corner and laid it down and slid under an 18 wheeler trailer that had backed into a business and completely blocked the street. Bent up his handlebars, footpegs and scratched it up pretty bad, the friend seemed uninjured though.

I'm with you, if someone wants to ride, they should get their own bike.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:27 pm

What really burns me up is that I had him ride my old beater (Sarah, who has plenty of dings and scratches and that I wouldn't be too upset if it was damaged) for over a half hour. He seemed ok and had no issues until what seemed like 10 minutes of riding Alecia :evil: Who until that time had never been laid down and only had 2 minor paint blemishes........
ImageImage

charnotx
I ride: 1999 Blue/Black Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby charnotx » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:50 am

That's a cryin' shame to hear someone laid down your bike!

Question, though: Why did you let them ride Alecia, when they were already doing fine on Sarah? Were they interested in the differences? I've always been told that any new to you bike will take at least a couple weeks before you can truly feel comfortable and secure in it. Having only ridden two different bikes, Hephaestus (my 99 500) and Lola (my Suzuki 1980 GS550E), I don't have much experience in having to regularly deal with new bikes, but know that each of those took me a bit to feel solid riding them. And even then, we as riders are always invisible to everyone on the road.

I know it has been a few years since your post, so I hope that repairs went well and no new accidents have occurred!

Return to “Lessons Well Learned”