Watch out for deer!!! I hit one last nite.

Anything to do with riding gear or general talk about riding safety and tips from the pros.
Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Watch out for deer!!! I hit one last nite.

Postby Triangles » Tue May 29, 2012 12:47 pm

Thank God I was in the truck and NOT on the bike!

Seeing this damage has me a little skittish about riding. FWIW this happend right before sun set on the interstate. The picture was taken a few minutes after it happened. You can't really tell from the angle of the picture but the bumper below the busted headlight toward the middle is pushed in about 8-10". Miraculously I was able to drive the remaining 70 miles home.

The deer appeared out of nowhere from the median. Not even enough reaction time to hit the brakes or utter a profanity.
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Re: Watch out for deer!!! I hit one last nite.

Postby burkbuilds » Tue May 29, 2012 3:16 pm

Wow man, glad you are okay. I've had deer jump out in the road in front of me on more than one occasion. 2 months ago a local driver was killed when a deer came thru the windshield of his truck. I've been fortunate that the ones I have encountered have always jumped out of the way in time. After my recent wreck involving a dog I have to admit it makes you think twice. Like you, I was unable to do anything to avoid the accident. I'm glad you were in your truck with this one.

Turbojoe
I ride: 2004 Vulcan 500

Postby Turbojoe » Tue May 29, 2012 6:38 pm

Happy to hear you weren't injured. Man those critters do some damage! I'm sure we have some sort of deer around here but I haven't seen any in the 10 years I've been here in the Phoenix area. It's bad enough dealing with the human animals in cars, at least they're somewhat predictable. Deer seem to be totally insane with a death wish. Glad I haven't seen any here.

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

2004 Vulcan 500

puckothewilde
I ride: '02 Vulcan 500. Honda Shadow 1100(roadkill)

Postby puckothewilde » Thu May 31, 2012 2:48 am

I don't recommend hitting deer with a bike. Done that twice. Not fun either time. Glad you're ok.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Thu May 31, 2012 8:08 am

puckothewilde wrote:I don't recommend hitting deer with a bike. Done that twice. Not fun either time. Glad you're ok.

Twice! WOW that sucks. Glad you're ok/recovered. What time of day did you hit these deer?
ImageImage

puckothewilde
I ride: '02 Vulcan 500. Honda Shadow 1100(roadkill)

Postby puckothewilde » Thu May 31, 2012 1:24 pm

The 1st deer was an Idaho mule deer at about 6am in the summer about 20 years ago. Sun was up, clear day and it jumped out from a field. The 2nd just this year in February. Still not completely over that one. I work 2nd shift and had worked a couple hours overtime. I was almost home at 2:30 and a small white tail just was suddenly there.

Funny, when I hit the 1st deer the only reason I was wearing a helmet was because I had found I could put speakers in it and have music on the way to work. Still have the helmet. The back looks like claws from a cheap monster movie swiped it. Decided helmets were good. Have a good scar on my arm. shredded a Carhart insulated coverall, but I was riding before the stitches came out.

GeorgiaRider

Postby GeorgiaRider » Thu May 31, 2012 8:15 pm

Glad you're OK Triangles. The deer seem to come out here right at dusk when they're difficult to see. They can spook you for sure. They pop out of nowhere.
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Saddlemen Large Slant Saddlebags
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:38 am

I had heard they come out around dusk as was the case here. The sun was setting and this deer came from the direction of the sun which of course contributed to not seeing it coming.
ImageImage

Return to “Riding Safety & Tips”