That dreaded MOtorcycle Skills Test!

Are you new to riding and need some info or help? This is the place to be.
Turbojoe
I ride: 2004 Vulcan 500

That dreaded MOtorcycle Skills Test!

Postby Turbojoe » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:13 pm

While I'm not a beginner (been riding 44 years) I did have to take the new (to me) 29 state motorcycle skills test when I decided to get a bike again after 10 years away from steady riding. I could have transferred my CA license to Arizona when I moved here but I sold my bike when I moved and had no plans for another right away. Especially after seeing how bad the drivers are here.

Fast forward to April this year when I got my Vulcan 500. I went down to DMV and aced the written test. It was too late to take the skills test so had to go back the next day. I did a brief search on line to see what the MOST was all about. Looked easy enough. All I remembered when I got there in the morning was to ride between 12-18 mph. Well........let me be the first to tell you that you have a snowballs chance in hell of getting through the cone weave on a cruiser at that speed! Yep, I failed miserably. Murdered every cone and did a foot tap. I left with my tail between my legs and did some more research when I got home. Then I found out you're supposed to go SLOW through that section. Duh! Wish the tester had mentioned that!

Fast forward again to this past Friday. My temp license fell out of my wallet and I took a look at the expiration date. Hmmmmm. With the holiday I only had 3 days left before it expired. Got up early this morning (I work nights) and headed down to get it over with. While I was still half asleep and badly stressed about that stupid cone weave I just kept in mind what I needed to do and worked the brake and clutch for a super smooth run. Looked over at the tester and got a thumbs up. Yipee! From that point on it was a cake walk. Aced it this time! I now have an unrestricted MC license again.

I guess the moral of the story is that if you've never taken the test there is a LOT of info available online as well as videos on YouTube that are a huge help. Of course taking a motorcycle safety course is the best route to take but if you're not as lucky as some of the states where it's free and can't afford to pay for it then at least do the research before you go for the test. Practice also helps make perfect. I knew I hadn't forgotten how to ride. I just forgot how to take a test........

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

2004 Vulcan 500

GeorgiaRider

Re: That dreaded MOtorcycle Skills Test!

Postby GeorgiaRider » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:14 pm

Glad you're back in action Joe. The 500 is a great bike with plenty of power. I hate the figure-8 you have to do in the box. Never could master that one.
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Saddlemen Large Slant Saddlebags
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

Turbojoe
I ride: 2004 Vulcan 500

Postby Turbojoe » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:24 am

Thanks GR! Yeah, it feels good not to have to worry about a citation for riding the freeway, after dark. Both forbidden with a restricted license in AZ!

Even though I have well over 40 years of riding experience I still would have loved to have taken a riding course before going for the license but simply didn't have the money for it. Anyone that thinks they know EVERYTHING about riding is either a fool, an organ donor or both. You should never stop learning! If there is ANY way you can afford it then take the locally available motorcycle training course!

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

2004 Vulcan 500

sikatrix500cc
I ride: 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Postby sikatrix500cc » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:53 pm

I rode without an endorsement for a year before I got caught lol. So I we and took the course, both days it poured down rain lol. I passrd with a 100% and stopped 4ft better and smoother than most do when its dry. So they tokd me. Then they offered me a job to instruct. wish I coulda taken it but medical school is more important too me. Hooray for florida! & there $200 required courses
Thanks,
Will aka "sik"

Return to “Beginners”