Generations Ride Planned

Post here about where you have been and what you've done on your Vulcan 500 or other bike. Also this is a place to post invites for meetups. Pictures and GPS routes/tracks are encouraged!
bikerbill
I ride: 1997 Vulcan 500LTD named Hidalgo

Generations Ride Planned

Postby bikerbill » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:45 pm

This summer, probably in June, I will be spending a week with my 74 year old Dad and thirteen year old son Daniel participating in the Tour of Honor. http://www.tourofhonor.com Daniel and I will be riding Hidalgo while Dad will ride Son of Hidalgo. The Tour of Honor will release its Memorials list on April 1, 2017 so we won't know exactly where we will go until after that date. The loose plan is to ride around the Ark-La-Miss area based near Monroe, LA.

There is a lot to do to prepare for this. We live over 600 miles from Dad so we'll have to trailer the bikes there. That means I'll have to refurbish the trailer and get my ol' pickup out of mothballs. Hidalgo is pretty much ready but Son of Hidalgo still needs a bit of work to ensure it can make the distance.

We are all looking forward to this and hope that it will be enjoyable by all. We'll be Making Memories.
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
270,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

SlipStreamer Enterprise II, Vista Cruise,
Cobra Spots, Drifter solo seat,
Pro-Tac backrest, ScottOiler,
F&S luggage rack, LED lights,
4-gal AUX fuel tank

bikerbill

Re: Generations Ride Planned

Postby bikerbill » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:42 pm

The truck and bikes are loaded and ready to head out for Arkansas in the morning where we will begin this Tour of Honor quest.

Use this link to track our travels:
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id ... 7c9b977ee4
password: tourofhonor

The link will become active Monday morning.
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
270,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

4-gal AUX fuel tank

bikerbill

Postby bikerbill » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:07 pm

We made it as far as Plaquemine, LA then had to call off our quest.

We had a good first day. We visited two memorials. The first one in Jonesville, LA and the next one was in Bunkie, LA. We had covered about 200 miles so we got a Motel in Bunkie to rest and recharge.

The next morning we awoke to rain. It cleared a few hours later so we loaded up and headed south for our next Memorial in Plaquemine. After lunch in Livonia we continued on towards Plaquemine. After a small navigational error we finally got onto LA77 to Plaquemine. It is a beautiful tree lined highway with some nice twistes. One twistie surprised Dad and he went ended up going wide over the berm and into the ditch.

After getting him checked out at the hospital (bumps and bruises only) we decided to call off our Tour of Honor quest and head home. We got my trailer brought to us to carry Son of Hidalgo and drove back the next day. I followed on Hidalgo.

We have until October 31 to visit five more Memorials to complete our Tour. Dad can visit by car if necessary due to his accident. If not we can try it again another year.
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
270,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

4-gal AUX fuel tank

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Postby Triangles » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Glad Dad was ok. How bad was Son of Hidalgo?
ImageImage

bikerbill

Postby bikerbill » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Son of Hidalgo isn't hurt too bad. The left saddlebag is destroyed, left rear turn signal mount is folded outward 90 deg, the rear fender has a chunk out of it, and the license plate trim ring broken. All bolt-on parts.

I found a fender and fender support on eBay. We'll install an old set of saddlebags from Hidalgo on it for now as well.

It'll be back on the road before you know it.
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
270,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

4-gal AUX fuel tank

Return to “Ride Reports & Meetups”