IBA Memorial Ride

Post here about where you have been and what you've done on your Vulcan 500 or other bike. Also this is a place to post invites for meetups. Pictures and GPS routes/tracks are encouraged!
bikerbill
I ride: 1997 Vulcan 500LTD named Hidalgo

IBA Memorial Ride

Postby bikerbill » Mon May 30, 2016 8:34 pm

Daniel and I rode a Texas In-State SaddleSore 1000 on Hidalgo.

The planned route was a loop from Levelland-Fort Stockton-Ballinger-Perryton-Dalhart-Levelland. Planned mileage 1,076 miles. Since this is a Memorial ride we were planning on visiting the grave of my Father-in-law/Daniel's grandfather at Boy's Ranch.

The weather forecast was for 30-50% chance of t-storms so I was up all the night before checking the radar. When the scope looked clear Sunday morning we made the decision to go for it. We started a little after 7am and headed south. The wind was steady from the south at about 20mph so fuel economy suffered greatly. I had planned for this with more fuel stops on this leg. Turning east from Fort Stockton had the wind from our right and we still made good time. Turning north at Ballinger made riding much nicer. The wind at our backs for the next 360 miles would be much more relaxing.

At Aspermont, the halfway point of the route, we were chatting with some other motorcyclists and telling them of our route when one of them showed us the current weather radar picture. It showed the entire Texas panhandle covered with an expansive storm. http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/ironb ... v.png.html Wow! I did not see that coming. Daniel is thinking "We're going to get wet." I'm thinking that "This looks ugly!" It only took a few seconds to realize that continuing would make this ride miserable. I suggested to Daniel that since we were at the halfway point that the best course of action, if we wanted to complete the mileage goal, would be to reverse our route and ride back the way we had already come. That idea was quickly agreed to and we turned south, making this a Half-Loop route. (So much for keeping the wind at our backs.)

The ride back was uneventful. I did see two deer. The one near Fort Stockton stayed on the roadside munching on the grass. The one near Kermit decided to cross the road using my headlights to show her the way. I was smooth in my brake/swerve maneuver and she was smooth in *not* turning around or bolting. I thought it best to not use the horn lest she become spooked and unpredictable. No harm done in either incident.

The wind turned from the south to the east and became gusty as we turned north at Fort Stockton on the return leg and the temps dropped from the 80's to the mid-50's. (Probably due to the weather front that caused the storms.) We got a bit chilled.

Arriving back at a little after 2am we 'stopped the clock' at 18h58m. 1,065 miles covered.

Even though it is nearly 3 o'clock in the morning Daniel is still 'pumped' and excitedly tells of the days events to Mom. But he is asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow.

The Track: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id ... a3a4a315a4 password: memorial
The planned route: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N9ZiX ... sp=sharing

It was a good day to ride.
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
269,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

SlipStreamer Enterprise II, Vista Cruise,
Cobra Spots, Drifter solo seat,
Pro-Tac backrest, ScottOiler,
F&S luggage rack, LED lights,
4-gal AUX fuel tank

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: IBA Memorial Ride

Postby Triangles » Tue May 31, 2016 8:08 am

Sounds like a great ride. I wish my weekend had been like that! I was stuck making a 1200+ mile round trip journey for family stuff. Although in all likely hood I would have otherwise spent the weekend wrenching on my "totaled" car. A while back some idiot wrinkled my fender and messed up my front end when she decided to merge into me. Since my old beater is almost worthless the insurance totaled it. I have to replace the wrinkled/broken pieces and then jump thru state inspection hoops to get it legally back on the road.
ImageImage

bikerbill
I ride: 1997 Vulcan 500LTD named Hidalgo

Re: IBA Memorial Ride

Postby bikerbill » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:58 pm

It's Official!!

This is Daniel's 2nd SS1000 and my 9th.
Attachments
DSCN1677-small.JPG
DSCN1677-small.JPG (98.02 KiB) Viewed 8761 times
--
'Biker' Bill