Diet NIITWIt Rally

Post here about where you have been and what you've done on your Vulcan 500 or other bike. Also this is a place to post invites for meetups. Pictures and GPS routes/tracks are encouraged!
bikerbill
I ride: 1997 Vulcan 500LTD named Hidalgo

Diet NIITWIt Rally

Postby bikerbill » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:36 pm

Hi everybody. Things are slow here so I'll post some info of an 8-hour Rally that I, my son Daniel, and Hidalgo took last weekend.

The start was at PJ's Cafe in Irving, TX on April 2 at 8:00am and the finish was 4:00pm at Lucy's on the Square in Celina, TX. Coming in after 4:00pm earned a DNF.

The Rally is called the Diet NIITWIt Rally. It is an 8-hour IBA style Rally that is basically a 'scavenger hunt'. The object is to go out and prove that you were at a certain place, and sometimes a certain time, during the rally and score points. Usually this is done by taking a picture of the 'bonus location' and sending it in via email. (a smartphone is required). Receipts are required sometimes too.

The scoring system on this Not In It To Win It Rally is reverse of normally rally expectations. In this one the goal is to lose points! Everyone starts out with the same number of points (15,000 in this case) then each 'bonus location' visited will deduct points from the total. The rider(s) with the least points is declared the Loser of the rally. The Winner is the riders(s) with the most points. (I know, it is really confusing but that's part of the fun. And if you can't have fun why participate?)

We rode from Lubbock to Irving on Friday. The first 100 miles or so were NOT enjoyable. The temp was 36deg with snow and drizzling rain and a stiff 15-20mph wind from the northeast. I asked Daniel if he wanted to call the trip off and he strongly declined. (Tough kid!) The sky finally cleared and the temps came up to the lower 60's so the last 200+ miles were much better. The weather during the remainder of the trip was beautiful and worth the trip out!

The Rally consisted of of 15 bikes and 17 riders. We gathered at PJ's Cafe for breakfast and last minute briefing. Then we recited our VOWS to be safe during the Rally. At 7:58am (two minutes early) we were released! Pictures of our Rally experience can be found here:
https://bikerbillsvulcan500rebuild.shutterfly.com/745

At 3:43pm, after 327 miles, Daniel and I with Hidalgo arrived at the Square in Celina, finishing our Rally plan. Scoring went without incident (no points 'lost at the table' this time). After a great meal at Lucy's on the Square the results were read, from Winner to Last Place Loser. Daniel and I were the Second to Last place Loser!! WooHoo!! But since this was a 'no frills' rally all we got for our troubles is 'Bragging Rights'! (What do you expect for $20? ;) )

We left Celina at the end of the festivities and headed back Home. Taking our time we got a motel in Seymour, TX then continued on the next day, arriving home safely about mid-afternoon.

I hope you enjoy this report. I may write a more detailed one soon.
--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo'
269,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IBA #635

SlipStreamer Enterprise II, Vista Cruise,
Cobra Spots, Drifter solo seat,
Pro-Tac backrest, ScottOiler,
F&S luggage rack, LED lights,
4-gal AUX fuel tank

Return to “Ride Reports & Meetups”