Ride Home Frome Work

Post here about where you have been and what you've done on your Vulcan 500 or other bike. Also this is a place to post invites for meetups. Pictures and GPS routes/tracks are encouraged!
AKrider
I ride: '93 Vulcan 500, '06 Honda Rebel, '81 CX 500

Ride Home Frome Work

Postby AKrider » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:51 am

Gotta say it's a constant joy to live in Alaska. Sure we have a short riding season but what we have is outstanding. I have a 35 mile ride to work from about 30 miles outside of Fairbanks, Alaska; across town to the airport, the roads (and my driveway) just be came safely ride-able about two weeks ago and I have been riding to work ever since. I need to set this up a little more, I work from 4pm to 2am so in the spring the ride into work is beautiful and sunny, 40 to 58 deg F and the ride home is pitch black and 30 to 38 deg F. But the days are getting longer...

Tonight was awesome!!! I ride East for the last 20 miles or so home and the sky was gorgeous shades going from a red glow on the horizon through purple to black with stars and clouds and just enough ambient light to help pick out the moose on the side of the road. I am truly blessed to live in a place where my 70 mile round trip to work lets me enjoy great scenery and fresh air every day I go to work and 6 months of that on two wheels!

Another couple of weeks and I won't even have to switch on my brights for the ride home. Of course the best part of living here is not only do I have this great commute 4 days a week but on my weekend I have the rest of Alaska beckoning me to enjoy.

I have to say Rosebud is a comfortable ride as long as I stay on improved (sort of paved) roads and definitely makes a great commuter bike.

Standing invitation to all, come to Alaska and crash at my place when you are in the interior, the greatest part of being an Alaskan is getting to share it with others.
We are what we repeatedly do, excellence is a habit.

Return to “Ride Reports & Meetups”