Went out for a haircut............

Post here about where you have been and what you've done on your Vulcan 500 or other bike. Also this is a place to post invites for meetups. Pictures and GPS routes/tracks are encouraged!
Turbojoe
I ride: 2004 Vulcan 500

Went out for a haircut............

Postby Turbojoe » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:14 pm

Went out for a haircut this morning. Barber shop about 2 miles away. Beautiful blue skies and high 70's. On the way back home it was so nice I decided to find out where the heck the end of my street was just to take a little putt. Lo and behold I find the Tonto National Forest! And the entrance is only about 8 miles from my house!!! I definitely gotta get out more. :roll: I'd heard of the place but didn't know it was right in my own backyard. I've been here in Arizona for 10 years and for various reasons just haven't had the chance to explore much outside the greater Phoenix metro area. Here in Mesa I'm closer to the fringes of the desert but again, I just haven't gone out to see much of it. That's about to change!!

I only went about 10 miles north into the forest before taking a turn to head back home through Apache Junction. I was about 25 miles from going on reserve and didn't know if I'd see a gas station anytime soon so I reluctantly headed back. Such a beautiful area I hated to have to end the ride so soon. I got home and did my normal weekend bike maintenance (tire pressures, oil level, chain inspect and lube). I also installed the new EBC Double H front pads that just got here. I installed a new rear tire chain and sprockets last weekend and the tank is now full so the bike is good to go for a ride other than simply to and from work. Gonna try to head out there again tomorrow. I just hope nothing gets in the way of this ride. Already have the camera ready with many extra batteries. Soon it's going to be too freaking hot here to take rides like this. Gotta do it now!

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

2004 Vulcan 500

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Went out for a haircut............

Postby Triangles » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:25 am

I think I did some off-roading out there in the Tonto National Forest last year. I found it odd that they call the desert a "Forest" Anyway I think it was 50 or 60 miles of smiles in a Jeep. I doubt any Vulcan would survive and wouldn't think of submitting one to it. If I ever make it back out there I'll have to pay a visit to the asshole who ripped me off. Sorry back on topic.. If you've got an off-road capable vehicle or access to one I highly recommend going on some of the trails.
ImageImage

Turbojoe
I ride: 2004 Vulcan 500

Re: Went out for a haircut............

Postby Turbojoe » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:57 pm

Yeah, anything green out here we'll call a tree. Three or more become a "forest". :) You were definitely out in the desert. My route yesterday followed the Salt River almost to Saguaro lake so there was a lot of greenery. The roads are in very good condition as well. No off roading on this Vulcan!

I got everything ready to go last night for today's ride. Bike fully serviced and full tank of gas. Camera, batteries, iPod, food, water etc. Woke up early and could barely move. Two herniated lumbar discs that always hurt but sometimes like today put me down hard. So much for going on this ride. Dammit!

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

2004 Vulcan 500

Return to “Ride Reports & Meetups”