South East Tennesee Riding on a Beautiful Day

Post here about where you have been and what you've done on your Vulcan 500 or other bike. Also this is a place to post invites for meetups. Pictures and GPS routes/tracks are encouraged!
burkbuilds

South East Tennesee Riding on a Beautiful Day

Postby burkbuilds » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:38 pm

I had a great ride today, not necessarily for any reason other than it was sunny and 70 degrees for the first time in months around here! I started out this morning in full cold weather gear, temps in the mid 30's. I headed up towards Harrison Tennessee passing along Chickamauga Lake. Water levels are still at Winter elevations but because it's the largest surface area of any of the Lakes on the Tennessee River, the water only drops about 6-7 feet from Summer levels so it's still really pretty to look at most places. Spent most of the day helping my 75 year old mother with some yard work and then had a great ride home in just my boots, jeans, jacket liner and helmet, no heavy gear, and man was it nice. Sunshine beaming down,70+ degree temps, felt like Spring! Well, it's supposed to cool off and start raining for the next several days, but today was a great day to be out on the bike!

Jablonsky

Re: South East Tennesee Riding on a Beautiful Day

Postby Jablonsky » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:37 am

These days we have temps 20-30°F, some snow and NE wind (bora) at 100-130mph.

Wanna bet if old Jablonsky has any intention to ride his bike under these awesome conditions? :)
No hay banda. No hay Jablonsky. Todo está grabado. Nada es lo que parece, todo es una ilusión.

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:31 pm

Wow, Jablonsky, that's some pretty rough weather, I guess you'll be staying off the bike for a while longer.

Jablonsky

Postby Jablonsky » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:43 am

I wonder what happened to all this global warming myth. Maybe I should just get rid of the bike and buy a used Rudolph instead? :|
No hay banda. No hay Jablonsky. Todo está grabado. Nada es lo que parece, todo es una ilusión.

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:17 am

The largest promoter of that myth is a guy from Tennessee named Al Gore, he stands to make many millions of dollars on Carbon Credits if we buy into it and pass certain legislation. The other promoters all have a financial stake in it as well because governments are giving them a lot of money for "research" that they wouldn't get if they didn't claim it was a threat to our survival. Follow the money trail and you will often find the basis for what's happening in the world today. Back in the 70's it was "we are entering a new ice age" myth, then "the ozone layer is disappearing" myth, then the "sunshine is bad for you and will kill everyone that doesn't wear SPF 2000" myth, now it's the "the world is getting hotter and we are all going to dry up and blow away" myth. Yet, we fall for it every time and pump billions of wasted taxpayer dollars into the pockets of unscrupulous scientists and business men who benefit financially from it and politicians who want more control over people. It's all Chicken little and the sky is falling as far as I'm concerned.

Jablonsky

Postby Jablonsky » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:28 am

burkbuilds wrote:... "the world is getting hotter and we are all going to dry up and blow away"...

Ain't gonna happen, as long as we've got breweries 8-) ;)

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:57 am

Amen!

kawboyCAFE

Postby kawboyCAFE » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:32 am

hey burkbuilds, sounds like a nice ride. you ever ride the dragon? i have heard alot of people talk about it, but i never have. i have been to pigeon forge, gatlinburg, and cherokee a couple of times, but i never have ridin the dragon. i have heard there are alot of wrecks on it though. anyway, enjoy the ride my man. oh, and ya'll forgot to say breweries (and women). ;)

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:04 pm

I rode the dragon in my Ford Ranger once a few years ago, what a blast, but I thought I was gonna die more than once, you can't always see what coming around from the other direction and sometimes people swing out into your lane as they come around a corner. Never done it on a bike, but one of the kids I go to school with ran it last Fall on his Ninja 500 and he seemed a little disappointed, but he's from Germany and maybe they have a lot of really curvy mountain roads there. Besides, he's like 20 and those guys always think they are bulletproof. :lol: If nothing else, it's a beautiful place to ride and it's got to be a lot of fun on a bike if you aren't trying to push your limits, just enjoying the curves. :D I saw a post a few months ago where some guys were riding the dragon and one of them hit a turkey and killed it, but avoided going down on the bike. Gatlinburg area is really pretty but the traffic jams are bad sometimes and I really don't want to spend several hours sitting and pulling up 10 feet in traffic on my bike.

Return to “Ride Reports & Meetups”