The back way home

Post here about where you have been and what you've done on your Vulcan 500 or other bike. Also this is a place to post invites for meetups. Pictures and GPS routes/tracks are encouraged!
burkbuilds

The back way home

Postby burkbuilds » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:52 am

I decided to get off the Interstate and ride up the backroads to come home from Marietta this week. Even though it was close to 100 degrees in the shade that afternoon, I found it to be very comfortable once I got into the rural areas. It didn't hurt that I went through several brief showers that really cooled things down nicely. I got off of I-75 just north of Alatoona Lake at Emerson, on to state route 293 then proceeded up through historic Cartersville, Ga. and went nearly to Rome before heading north on Morrison Camp Ground Rd. this is a really beautiful area and Cartersville makes me think of Mayberry, so if you like 1940's-50's era small towns with lots of shops and eateries and many beautiful historic old homes, then you might enjoy spending a day there sometime. As I left the downtown area, I found those Camels again, they are right along the road in a field off of 293. I snapped a couple of photos for proof, yes there are camels in Georgia.
A little way up Morrison Camp Ground Rd, you veer right onto Ward Mtn. Rd for several miles. This is all really beautiful country and there's practically zero traffic. You finally come out on Calhoun Hwy and travel a few miles then turn onto State highway 53 for a few blocks and then onto highway 140. Finally you turn on to Old Dalton Road and head through even more gorgeous farmland. The road will change names a couple of times it becomes Everette Springs Road and finally Pocket Road as it heads up through the John's Mountain Wildlife Preservation area. You finally top out up near the town of Villanow on highway 136. I take a left there and wind up going over some great twisties over the top of the mountain. At the end you will come out on highway 151 and you can go left (south) towards Lafeyette or right (north) towards Ringgold Ga. I head up towards Ringgold for a few miles and then take a left onto 95 over to Rock Springs and then I take Highway 27N on up into Chickamauga. This route adds about 25 miles to my trip home and about an hour more in time than running up I-75, but when I get home I am so relaxed and in such a great mood it is well worth the extra time and mileage. So, here are a few shots from along the way, I hope you enjoy them.

GeorgiaRider

Re: The back way home

Postby GeorgiaRider » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:45 pm

You picked some great roads BurkBuilds. Lot of nice roads in the Barnsley Gardens Resort area, though the kids take many of the signs. Rockfence Road is a good one just to name one. Next time you're in Emerson check out the Bates Road area (off of Old Alabama Road). Bates Road connects to Dabbs Bridge Road which runs you over to Hwy 61. Lot of side roads to take off of Bates Road with nice hills, horses, etc. Watch the cops in Emerson though, speed traps for sure.
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Saddlemen Large Slant Saddlebags
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks for the riding information GeorgiaRider, sounds like this is your "stomping grounds". I love riding the back roads when I have time. Last week I was offered a job back in my home town of Chattanooga, TN that is only about 20 minutes from my house, and I've signed up for classes on line so I may not be putting nearly as many miles on the bike as I have been for the last two years. The job kinda popped up out of the blue and their add was pretty much a description of what I've been doing in Atlanta for my present employer. They offered me the same money, and I can ditch the expense of maintaining an apartment in Atlanta and all the traveling expenses that go along with a weekly 100+ mile commute back and forth from my home. I've put right at 40,000 miles on the 500 since I bought it new in the Summer of 2009. I'm looking forward to being home every night with my wife and the rest of my family. But that does mean I'll spend about 5 hours less on the bike each week. Still, I'll probably have more time to ride some back roads that are a little closer to home now.

GeorgiaRider

Postby GeorgiaRider » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:57 pm

Great news on the job BurkBuilds. Another great road I found recently: take Hwy 136 west until it dead ends into Hwy 73 North (in AL). Follow this north (turns into Hwy 377) and it dead ends into Hwy 156 or Hwy 156A. Turn right and you'll follow for a few miles to Nickajack Lake in TN. Great curvy roads with overhanging trees as you get close to the lake (On Hwy 73/377). At one point you can see about four sets of curves ahead of you and it's like a roller coaster ride going from side to side. Someone was following me in this section and they said it was great watching me hit one set of curves as they were hitting the set behind me.
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Saddlemen Large Slant Saddlebags
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:41 pm

That sounds like a really nice ride. I would never have tried to get to Nick-A-Jack lake that route, sounds like fun. I may have to give that a shot soon. Once I reach the lake, I could simply drop on to I-24E and be back home in about 30 minutes.

Return to “Ride Reports & Meetups”