Panama City Beach Trip

Post here about where you have been and what you've done on your Vulcan 500 or other bike. Also this is a place to post invites for meetups. Pictures and GPS routes/tracks are encouraged!
burkbuilds

Panama City Beach Trip

Postby burkbuilds » Sun May 29, 2011 11:14 pm

Spent about 6.5 hours riding down on Saturday. Nice easy ride and my seat was awesome. That last customization really paid off. After almost 7 hours in the saddle I unloaded everything and then went for a ride along the beach (Thomas Drive) road. Weather is in the 90's and sunny, light waves, really nice. I left Marietta about 8:30 in fog and 62 degrees. Peeled out of my jacket around 10 o'clock and went the remainder in short sleeves. Should have put suntan lotion on around noon, but wasn't thinking about it and got a nice "farmers tan" going by the time I got here. Oh well. Image

JWR
I ride: 2005 Vulcan 1989 Pacific Coast

Re: Panama City Beach Trip

Postby JWR » Tue May 31, 2011 6:27 am

We have done the Cape San Blast thing several times.

Need to go again.

Looks like a good time.

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Tue May 31, 2011 2:42 pm

Hey JWR, We went to the cape a few years back and stayed at a house on the beach. Amazing sea shells there and we had Racoons that came up to the back door and begged for food each night. I think we brought home three grocery bags full of sea shells that trip.

GeorgiaRider

Postby GeorgiaRider » Tue May 31, 2011 9:07 pm

Glad you had a good trip BurkBuilds. Looks like a comfy seat. We rode down during Thunder Beach. First time we'd been and the longest trip for us to date. Since then we've run up to Asheville and back via Blue Ridge Pkwy. The 500 can go places for sure. I have an Airhawk cushion on mine, but still can't ride as long as you can. The wife rides a V-Star 650.

Do you have a list of the mods you've done to your bike posted?
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Saddlemen Large Slant Saddlebags
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:58 am

I don't think I've posted a list of my mods. When I get back home I'll look them up, I keep pretty detailed maintenance records including modifications. Off the top of my head: Changed front and rear sprockets to give me better highway mileage, handlebar risers, wind shield, swapped the wheels out for aluminum so I could run without tubes and easier to clean. Saddlebags, sissybar with luggage rack and a trunk. I also switched my rear tire out for a BF Goodrich T/A Radial car tire about 9,000 miles ago and love it. I have heated grips and an outlet to plug in my heated vest and gloves. I also added a tachometer. I've changed all my lighting except the headlight to led's and of course the custom seat. That's all that comes to mind.

Another great day at the beach. I just came in for some lunch and I'm gonna go make a run for beer on the bike in a few minutes. Sunny, light breeze, highs around 90 degrees, light surf . . . it just doesn't get any better than this! :D

GeorgiaRider

Postby GeorgiaRider » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:55 pm

Have fun down there and ride safe. I saw a Vulcan 500 just like mine heading up I-75 today, but couldn't get close enough to check it out. Thought it might be you, but then you're at the beach :D
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Saddlemen Large Slant Saddlebags
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:22 am

Yesterday was awesome, today promises to be more of the same. I can't remember ever having a solid week of practically perfect weather when I was at the beach. This morning while drinking coffee on the balcony, I watched a stingray slowly cruise up the beach in the shallows, it was pretty cool. My daughter and her friend even got up out of bed to see it, of course they went back to bed after it went by. I love the beach and especially the early mornings, they seem so relaxing and peaceful. Well, gotta sign up for Fall classes in a minute, isn't the internet wonderful. Then it's out to enjoy my last day at the beach for a while, probably until after I graduate, which I hope will come by the end of next Summer. :D

Return to “Ride Reports & Meetups”