Winterizing for storage

General questions, information, and/or comments about the Vulcan 500. For specific questions, post them under the applicable topic.
Jrider
I ride: 2001 Vulcan 500 LTD

Winterizing for storage

Postby Jrider » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:41 pm

Sadly, riding season is drawing to a close up her in Wisconsin. I'm wondering what others do to winterize their Vulcan's and prep them for storage until spring?

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Winterizing for storage

Postby Triangles » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:40 am

This is how I winterize mine.

But you should really add studded tires! It makes it much safer....

On a more serious note for those fair weather riders or those who get more than 2ft of snow:
1) Use STA-BIL in your gas tank. Make sure you leave your tank sit completely full to prevent the tank from rusting (no air space for condensation to occur).
2) Run the carbs dry. With the engine warmed up: On the EN500A switch the fuel valve to off and let the bike run the carbs dry. On the EN500C since there is no "off", Pull the vacuum line to the fuel valve and let it run the carbs dry. Pinch the disconnected vacuum hose to the carb so it's not sucking in air.
3) Put the battery on a float charger. Allowing the battery to sit and self discharge and simply trying to charge it back up in the spring will severely shorten the battery's life. I'm still on my factory battery in my 2006 model!
4) Assess the bike for any major maintenance you can do over winter so you have less down time during the riding season.
ImageImage

Return to “General Discussion”