First Impressions of my 500

General questions, information, and/or comments about the Vulcan 500. For specific questions, post them under the applicable topic.
RonB
I ride: 01 Red Vulcan 500

First Impressions of my 500

Postby RonB » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:01 pm

Well I've got about 60 miles on the bike so far. I had to replace a part so that really hindered my riding, plus the sub 20 degree temperatures didn't help. I was riding and I noticed the gear lever felt "soft". It then began to move A LOT more than it was supposed to. :o Fortunately the bike was in 2nd gear and I was only about 5-6 miles from the house.

When I got it home I thought the worst but I took my time and looked for the simplest things first. The bike still ran good, tranny wasn't making any kind of odd noises nor did it feel strange. Wound up being the knuckle that connects the shift linkage to the shift lever. Easy but pricey little thing to replace. :evil:

Once I got it replace I ran through the gears on the road in front my house to make sure that was the only issue. Came back to the house, told my wife I'd be back later and headed out. 8-) I've been riding mostly back roads just to get a feel for riding, remember, this is my first road bike and the KE100 I have is well....under powered for the road even though it is technically dual purpose.

Anyway I took back roads about 10 miles from the house then retuned on the county hwy (55 MPH limit) all the way back home. So far it feels great. It feels natural, I feel comfortable. I do maintain a healthy sense of paranoia though. Two things some friends told me a long time ago that have stuck with me.

1.) Always look where you want to go, not where you are. :P
2.) Always assume that no one will ever see you. :shock:

I must say....I have never wanted warmer weather than I do right now. :mrgreen:

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: First Impressions of my 500

Postby Triangles » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:11 pm

20 degrees sounds warm it's sub zero here! I think I'll add a 3rd to the list of things your friends told you. Somewhat of an extension of #2

3.) Ride like you have a target on your back and the cagers are trying to run you over.
ImageImage

Return to “General Discussion”