I had my first motorcycle crash this morning :(

General questions, information, and/or comments about the Vulcan 500. For specific questions, post them under the applicable topic.
Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

I had my first motorcycle crash this morning :(

Postby Triangles » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:08 am

First, aside from some bumps and bruises I'm very happy to be OK! Stuff can be replaced, people cannot.

I got caught by the accordion effect from cars stopping for a car turning left about 5 cars in front of me right after 2 lanes merge into 1. I happened to glance off the road at the most inopportune time to see what was moving in the field next to me (a tractor.. go figure). when my eyes were back on the road I had about 10 feet to stop from about 30ish. I didn't have time to bail to the side of the car. I was hard on the brakes and my front wheel locked right before impact. I think I must have tried to bail right before or at impact because I didn't jam any fingers from being on the handle bar. The bike bounced off the bumper and rotated 90 deg such that I ended up between the bike and the car that I hit. Thankfully the car behind me didn't run over me. Also, amazingly I never completely fell to the ground and once I realized everything still worked I picked up my bike and got out of the road. In hind sight, I should have more thoroughly made sure I was ok before moving. Due to the adrenaline rush, I didn't realize how bad the bruise was on my leg.

I put a couple of scrapes and holes in the car's bumper. On my bike, the front fender folded straight up, the windshield is scratched and the mounting bracket bent up, Mirror is gone, some scuffs on the gas tank, my ammo can is slightly crumpled which protected the exhaust from getting more than a few scratches. Oh and the foot peg has a little mark from where it hit the asphalt. Seeing as how I have a nasty bruise on my one shin and a lesser bruise above my other knee, I believe that's where I hit the handle bars on impact. I also jammed my toe on something, thankfully I was wearing my steel toes.

Amazingly the front forks are not bent or don't appear to be. I was able to ride the remaining 1/4mi to work. I'll ride surface streets home just in case something I have not noticed is also broken.

I usually leave plenty of assured clear distance. However it's hard to at this location because traffic is heavy and funnels down from 2 lanes to 1. combine that with an unexpected stop for left turn and momentary lapse in attention and I got myself in a bad situation quick.
ImageImage

GeorgiaRider

Re: I had my first motorcycle crash this morning :(

Postby GeorgiaRider » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:01 pm

Triangles,

Glad to hear you aren't messed up too badly. Things can happen in a hurry out there for sure.
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Saddlemen Large Slant Saddlebags
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

Turbojoe
I ride: 2004 Vulcan 500

Postby Turbojoe » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Sounds like you dodged what could have been much worse if the guy behind you didn't stop in time. Glad to hear you aren't injured any worse than you are. I'm sure you'll feel a few more aches and pains when you get up tomorrow morning though.....

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

2004 Vulcan 500

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:31 pm

Man Triangles, glad you were not hurt any worse than that. Sorry about the damage to the bike and yourself though.

puckothewilde
I ride: '02 Vulcan 500. Honda Shadow 1100(roadkill)

Postby puckothewilde » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:30 am

Having had my own accident with the deer earlier this year I can relate. Glad you came out okay. Here in DFW the freeways can get pretty crazy. Blink and you are suddenly in trouble. Be careful out there.

shadowguy
I ride: 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan EN500, 2001 Honda Shadow ACE 750

Postby shadowguy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:34 pm

Hey Triangles, I'm glad it wasn't any worse than it turned out to be. And you're right. Stuff can be replaced. Feel better soon.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Woolsey Dip
I ride: '08 Vulcan 500

Postby Woolsey Dip » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Wow dude, really sorry to see this. Glad your injuries weren't worse. Get back on the horse that bucked you off, they say, and it sounds like that's exactly what you did.

Return to “General Discussion”