94 EN500A

Go ahead, show off your ride!
Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

94 EN500A

Postby Triangles » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:13 pm

My 94 Vulcan 500 aka Sarah. Currently being torn down to apply some corrosion prevention measures.
I may sell the Jardine exhaust system, not sure yet we'll see how she comes back together.
ImageImage

hwmccullough

Re: 94 EN500A

Postby hwmccullough » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Let me know if you want to sell the Jardine System. Have one on my wife's Rebel 250 and I like it. Would like to have one on my Vulcan.

Here's my '94.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:59 pm

My baby is getting some fresh paint. I sure hope I can remember how everything goes back together.
ImageImage
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:53 am

Wow, that looks like a lot of work, but your results look good, well worth the effort, nice job!

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks I plan on riding rain or shine, so I figured it's best to take care of the rust before it's a problem. I hadn't planned on stripping it down to the frame except engine and handlebars forward. but I think it will be worth it. I sprayed on some truck bed liner on the front / bottom of the frame where it's likely to have stones, etc thrown up that would otherwise chip the paint. I also did the same to the areas where stuff would get thrown up from the back wheel.
ImageImage

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:30 am

I know that took some time and effort, but I think you will be glad that you didn't cut any corners down the road. Kinda like that old saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Plus, your bike is gonna look like it just rolled off the show room floor!

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:18 pm

exactly what I was thinking. It had many areas of surface rust, mostly around the welds. I plan to do a fair amount of wet weather riding, so I figured that would only accelerate the surface rust into frame rot. I did not originally intend to completely strip it down except the motor, but you know parts just kept coming off..... LOL I'm glad I have manuals and bagged/labeled bolts as I disassembled. Otherwise I'd be lost at reassembly. I may have some wiring issues as I paid no attention to the wiring harness. I hope it makes sense when I put things back together as to what plugs in where. since it's in my 40 some degree garage I'll give it a week or two to cure before bolting things back up. I also sprayed cold galvanizing compound in the two open tubes at the back of the frame until it ran out of the holes in the bottom. If you're not familiar with cold galvanizing spray it is basically 90+ %zinc powder with just enuff electrically conductive adhesive to hold it together. In theory the zinc oxidizes instead of the steel frame. I have some ideas for exhaust. I think I can rig something up out of 304 stainless steel for the pipes and use some inexpensive Harley mufflers. It won't be pretty but I'll never have to worry about it rusting out.
ImageImage

Jablonsky

Postby Jablonsky » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:04 am

Triangles wrote:...I also sprayed cold galvanizing compound in the two open tubes at the back of the frame...

Good job! Did you also use some rust converter or did you just clean the surface rust?
No hay banda. No hay Jablonsky. Todo está grabado. Nada es lo que parece, todo es una ilusión.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:36 am

Jablonsky wrote:Did you also use some rust converter or did you just clean the surface rust?

Wire wheel on a drill down to bare metal. Used sand paper where the wire wheel wouldn't fit. I question whether or not that rust converter stuff really works.

Also I used "self etching" primer. I don't think that's necessary to use the "self etching", but it's worked great everywhere else I've used it, so why change? I first tried "self etching" primer AFTER I painted an already primed bumper years ago. turned out the primer on the bumper was incompatible with the paint I used. After hours of painting. It peeled right off like saran wrap. As you can imagine I was NOT happy having to strip prime and repaint.
ImageImage

Jablonsky

Postby Jablonsky » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:17 am

Triangles wrote:... I question whether or not that rust converter stuff really works...

Probably you're right. Years ago I used a product on phosphoric acid basis which worked well. As I remember it converts rust to ferric phosphate, but I cannot remember the name of the product. Most probably it doesn't even exist any more.

BTW, my aluminum wheels are now polished and shiny. Will try to post pics when I find some time.
No hay banda. No hay Jablonsky. Todo está grabado. Nada es lo que parece, todo es una ilusión.

GeorgiaRider

Postby GeorgiaRider » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:48 pm

Send us some pics as you progress. I'd like to see how the larger Kawi windshield looks on it too.

Good luck.
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Saddlemen Large Slant Saddlebags
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

kawboyCAFE

Postby kawboyCAFE » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:13 am

nice looking 94 model. if you do decide to sell your jardine pipes, let me know. i know i can retro fit them on my 09.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:43 pm

Well here's a status update:

I know it doesn't look like I've done much, but progress has been made. I spent a lot of time refurbishing the carbs, they were in sad shape and missing parts.

I've cleaned up the rust from inside of the chrome bits: the sissy bar, belt guard and side frame rails. I wire wheeled and sandblasted then primered and painted what was the rusty areas. I hate sandblasting that stuff goes EVERYWHERE!

I was stoopid and put the back wheel on before putting the battery tray back in so I had to pull it back out. It was then I realized a critical error I made while taking things apart. I failed to keep track of how the wireharness was routed. Could somebody with an EN500A tell me how the harness is routed in the battery area? Which side of the backbone does it go? My foggy memory has it going on the left of the backbone. From there it gets even foggier for me. I think it goes around the left of the battery, under and then over the igniter, then back to the starter relay? A few picts would prolly be better than a description. I'd be eternally grateful to whoever could help me figure this out!

I've also got a slick idea for the replacing the "indicator light pod" with a tach. more to come on that later. I think I'm going to miss my goal of getting her back on the road by 4/15/10 :(
ImageImage

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:46 pm

GeorgiaRider wrote:Send us some pics as you progress. I'd like to see how the larger Kawi windshield looks on it too.

Good luck.

The windshield is on my '06 not my '94. I'll eventually get one for my '94 probably one of those cheap "Spitfire" ebay shields. Shame on me for not having any pictures of my '06 up yet
ImageImage

83gs1100g
I ride: ALL MOTORCYCLES! but i own many!

Postby 83gs1100g » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:00 am

man nice look to her! do you have a video so we can hear what she sounds like?

Return to “Vulcan 500 Pictures”