2009 500 Ltd

Go ahead, show off your ride!
Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: 2009 500 Ltd

Postby Triangles » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:21 pm

hmmm I'm 5'-10" I was lookin at the iso wings since the stock pegs get uncomfortable on a long ride. I thought about Vulcan 800 floor boards since they supposedly fit the 500 too but was more interested in the iso wings since they looked like they'd fit better. Do the iso wings raise the peg position relative to stock?

GeorgiaRider, do those pegs scrape in the turns?
ImageImage

DaisyField
I ride: '09 with highway bars, saddleman bags, Kuryakyn Grips and Iso wings, OEM luggage rack and windshield

Postby DaisyField » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:37 pm

I've never scraped them, and for me, they're great. I feel like they give my feet more room to move, they are much more comfortable. I also didn't care for the stock pegs, so the wings are a big improvement. They needed to be installed without the springs that would normally keep the stock pegs down, however the weight of the wings would drop them back into place if you cornered hard and scraped them. The adapters that I used were for the vulcan 900 and I put 1 washer in to snug up the wings. The other thing that I really like is that the angle is also fully adjustable. I could set the tilt to what was best for me. I would definitely recommend them.
I swear... I only ride to save gas. (If you believe that I have a deal on a bridge for you.)

GeorgiaRider

Postby GeorgiaRider » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:07 pm

I would scape them every once in a while, but only if I was leaning way over. I can't really recall, but don't think I did too often. DaisyField can let you know how scratched up they are since she bought them from me.
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Saddlemen Large Slant Saddlebags
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

kawboyCAFE

Postby kawboyCAFE » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:00 am

you can scrape any pegs if your leaning enough. i scraped my stock pegs once about a month after buying the bike. i think that was the only time though.

DaisyField
I ride: '09 with highway bars, saddleman bags, Kuryakyn Grips and Iso wings, OEM luggage rack and windshield

Postby DaisyField » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:50 am

Hardly scratched at all
I swear... I only ride to save gas. (If you believe that I have a deal on a bridge for you.)

burkbuilds

Postby burkbuilds » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:19 am

I don't think I've scrapped the pegs, but I scrape the crap out of the kickstand in left turns all the time. Very frustrating to have that limit your ability to corner in left turns. I've never hit anything on a right turn on the 500. I didn't even know what was scraping until my son-in-law was following me one day, when we got home he said he could see the sparksflying up from my kickstand in the left turns sometimes.

DaisyField

Postby DaisyField » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:52 am

Triangles wrote:hmmm I'm 5'-10" I thought about Vulcan 800 floor boards since they supposedly fit the 500 too but was more interested in the iso wings since they looked like they'd fit better. Do the iso wings raise the peg position relative to stock?

I don't know if they raise the peg position but they are further forward. I did have to raise the shifter up one notch, but I believe that is as a result of the angle of the wings. I have them tilted up at the front for my short legs.

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:15 pm

DaisyField wrote: I don't know if they raise the peg position but they are further forward. I did have to raise the shifter up one notch, but I believe that is as a result of the angle of the wings. I have them tilted up at the front for my short legs.

hmm I would think being further forward would make them feel roomier not more cramped for those with longer legs?
ImageImage

DaisyField

Postby DaisyField » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:11 pm

I can only report what those with longer legs tell me. For me, they are more comfortable than the pegs. They give me more room for my feet to move. They are both further forward and further back since they are wider than pegs. My 5'11" husband tells me that they make him feel cramped. Maybe that's because he's used to his 900? Maybe because since they are wider, they force your feet to be more parallel to the road instead of having your heels down? I don't know. All I do know is that I REALLY like them.

GeorgiaRider

Postby GeorgiaRider » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:10 pm

Glad you like them DaisyField. I felt like they gave me more room, but I needed a little more...
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

GeorgiaRider

Postby GeorgiaRider » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:41 pm

DaisyField,

Where did you get the luggage rack and is it sturdy enough to hold a fairly heavy bag? I really like the looks of it.
GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock

Triangles
Site Admin

Postby Triangles » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:25 am

here's where I got mine It's a OEM Kawasaki rack. you can google the part # K53020-095 might find it cheaper elsewhere or maybe on fleabay. It's supported by the seat bolt and the two wires that go down and tie in to the rear fender rail bolt. It says it has a 5lb. max load and it's only as sturdy as what it would take to bend the visually estimated 6-8mm wire it's made out of. That said I've put a fully loaded sissybar bag on it with no problems. I would say you could put 20 lbs on it with out issue. 30 lbs would be pushing it.
ImageImage

Return to “Vulcan 500 Pictures”