Hi from Dwight, IL

New to the forum? Introduce yourself so we can get to know you better. Welcome to the community!
vulc@nrider
I ride: 1995 Candy Cardinal Red & Pearl Cosmic Grey EN500A6

Hi from Dwight, IL

Postby vulc@nrider » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:09 am

Hi, my name is Jim. I live in Dwight, IL; about 65 miles southwest of Chicago. It's a nice rural town of about 4500. I started riding in the summer of 1972. Over the years I've owned 3 Honda's. I suffered through a hiatus of sorts and started riding again in 2011. This is my first Kaw and you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands to get it. I bought my '95 Vulcan 500 from my friends widow after he passed away from cancer. Had just 20,737 miles on it! It's an awesome ride. I've had several offers but there's no way I'll ever sell it.

I've always loved the looks of a full dresser but didn't want to have to handle a 1,000 lb bike. So I'm making my best effort to get this bike to look like a full dresser. It's not quite where I want it, but we're getting ever so close.

This is what she looked like a couple of weeks after I got her.

This is what she looks like today.

For more pictures visit my VROC page at: http://www.vroc.org/view_profile.php?us ... eview=true

Triangles: I see you live in Toledo, OH. My oldest daughter Bekki lives there. If you're ever in the jewelry department at Macy's, stop in and say Hi.

Triangles
Site Admin
I ride: '94 Black Cherry Vulcan 500, '06 Candyfire Red Vulcan 500 LTD

Re: Hi from Dwight, IL

Postby Triangles » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:24 pm

Welcome to the forum. What windshield is that? Does it offer any wind protection for the hands? With a longer commute to work, I'm struggling to keep my hands warm. I have tried Bone Dry handlebar Muffs by Oxford but they need some sort of skeletal support as they collapse on the clutch/brake levers at freeway speed. Not exactly safe! I'm looking at either a windshield with protection or fiberglassing some custom hard hand shields.
ImageImage

vulc@nrider
I ride: 1995 Candy Cardinal Red & Pearl Cosmic Grey EN500A6

Re: Hi from Dwight, IL

Postby vulc@nrider » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:23 pm

The fairing itself actually provides lots of protection for my hands. The sides of the fairing flare out right in front of my handgrips. The way the bike sits, the windshield comes to about 1/2" below the top of my head. (I'm 6'1")

There's an interesting story behind this if you don't mind the time. Noone makes a fairing specifically for a bike this small. However, Memphis Shades makes one fairing for universal use. That's the one I purchased. The problem was how to mount it. Memphis Shades makes a quick disconnect mount for this bike, but it's for a Memphis Fats windshield. I called the company and their response was that they can't make a mount for every bike. Funny, I thought that's why they were in business. Anyway, I decided to order the fairing, and the windshield mount and see if I could make them work together. As luck would have it, I put the windshield brackets on the fairing, and the mounts on the forks, and the SOB lined up perfect. The flames are Rivco brand and are actually for a Harley. I had to cut a little off of each end when aligned with the center hole, and re-drill the end holes but it turned out great.

A couple of other notes. The windshields come in 3 heighths, clear or shaded, and multiple colors of shading for however you want your bike to look. Also, if you look closely at the picture, you will see some extra wind deflectors at the bottom of the fairing. These also come in multiple colors for that custom look. If this is the look you want for your bike, you will love it, but it comes at a price.

I purchased everything at J&P Cycles (www.jpcycles.com)
Here is the breakdown:
Trigger Lock mount kit (Part #ZZ75209) $142.99
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing (Part #751-937) $279.99
Memphis Shades Batwing 12" Windshield (Part #752-067) 74.99
Memphis Shades Batwing Wind Deflectors (Part #751-916) $24.99
Sales Tax $32.69
Grand Total $555.65!!

The chrome flames are $89.99 and the other item you can't see is a Memphis Shades Tri-Pouch which is $79.99. With sales tax it all came out to $752.00. It's one hell of a chunk of change, but it's the look I wanted and I didn't care what it cost me.

Now if your not interested in that kind of layout here's a second option. If you're really happy with your existing windshield and just want some hand protection, J&P Cycles sells hand deflectors which mount to your handlebars in front of the handrips. They are made by National Cycle. The ones for an EN500A, 1990-2006 are part #ZZ50967 and they sell for $89.99

If you've never done business with J&P, they are a great company. You can go to their website and request a cruiser catalog for metric bikes and a harley catalog. They'll send them for free. There are things in the big harley catalog that aren't in the metric catalog that will fit many other bikes.

And if you're looking for a good road trip next summer, they have an annual open house every year the last week of June. Get your motel reservations early as there will be over 30,000 bikers there. If you come, my brother and I will be there with our Vulcans.

Hope this helps you.
Jim

Return to “Introduce Yourself”